E. Wheatland & Sons London upright piano w/birdcage acti

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

pinkkitty

Post by pinkkitty »

I cannot find any info about this piano. The serial number is, 2564 I can tell it is very old and well made. I am restoring myself and was interested in learning more about it. Any info about it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Bill Kibby

Wheatland

Post by Bill Kibby »

This is all I havwe ready on computer, I'll see what else I can find.

WHEATLAND (E.) & Sons, London
Established 1864, at one time a large retailer with branches around London, but they probably didn't have their own factory. Some of their pianos may have been made by Jarrett & Goudge. The Wheatland name was later available as a cheap name transfer for a few pence, and could be placed on any piano. Serial number dates are not published, but 2564 is too short anyway.

1914 "E. Wheatland & Sons, 413, Harrow Road, London" piano #22,074, iron frame marked with the date 13.6.14B.

Circa 1920 Emile Auberon upright #32,300 from Wheatlands has their warranty label. The number 214B is encircled on the iron frame. Shenstone keys #5,988.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
pinkkitty

Post by pinkkitty »

Thank you for the info, I really appreciate the help. The number I gave you wasnt the serial # it was the number on the third ivory and also, the correct number is 2464. On the harp all I see is the number 10 cast into it. On the top right of the cabinet is a metal plate, it reads, "Warranty Is Conditional on the piano being tuned 4 times a year, by E. Wheatland & Sons 413-419 Harrow Rd W.9. I could not find any number on the action. The workmanship is amazing, as there is nothing wrong with it. It cleaned up beautifully. Anymore info on this would be grately appreciated, because there isnt any info on the web. Thank You jeff & susie from California U.S.A.
Bill Kibby

Wheatland

Post by Bill Kibby »

If you email me, or press www below, I could compile a report from photos.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info