Nippon Gakki SKK number 20 grand piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

oyvinds

Nippon Gakki SKK number 20 grand piano

Post by oyvinds »

My (Japanese) wife has inherited an old Nippon Gakki/Yamaha grand piano, and we're looking for any kind of information about it.

It is supposedly one of the earlier grand pianos by Nippon Gakki/Yamaha, on the front of the piano it reads "Yamaha", while "Nippon Gakki SKK Number 20" is embossed on the frame. The serial number is 26136.

If anyone could provide us with any kind of information on this piano, we would be most grateful.

We're also considering whether it is worth the cost to ship it to Norway, where we live now, and if it will survive the climate change. The piano was relaquered and given a complete mechanical overhaul 20 years ago (all strings and hammerheads replaced etc.). Any opinions as to whether we 'd be better off buying a new piano instead are also welcome.
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

According to the serial number it was built somewhere between 1934 and 1937. I've never seen a Yamaha piano which was that old, so quality may be an issue. The best thing would be to get a technician to have a look at it before spending any money.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

wow a 1930s yamaha! I'd LOVE to see pics of that, and hear it too. I wonder if they are high quality pianos or not? It would be very interesting anyway. The oldest yamaha I have seen is from the late 60s or early 70s
David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by David B »

Steinways warehouse in west London had an early Yamaha when I was there last year - probably from early C20th. Unrestored.

Would keep the home fires burning, not much good for anything else. 8)
oyvinds

Post by oyvinds »

Thanks for the replies, a little more info has surfaced since my first post.

My wife has been playing it since childhood, and I have also tried it on several occasions, and I can assure you that it still has some uses other than as a combustible. :wink: It is, however, quite different from the more contemporary Yamahas.

I have learned that the pre-60s Yamaha models were near copies of European instruments (Bechstein, in particular), thus having a more "European" tone than current Japanese pianos. Apparently they became so good at copying that one model even won the honorary grand prix at the 1904 World Fair in St. Louis.

In Japan completely restored versions of this model (albeit from the 50's) go for about the same as a brand new C2 (which in Norway retails for over twice the Japanese price :shock:)...

We are trying to contact the company that did the restoration to determine exactly what was done, and get them to do a new checkup on it.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

The Japs are a funny lot.

They discard items over 5 years old as being 'too old' and pay vast sums for kit from the Seventies and earlier because they're 'classics'.

Sounds like an interesting piano though. I once tuned a "no.U1" from the 1920s and it seemed rather good to me!
eijicomoto

Re: Nippon Gakki SKK number 20 grand piano

Post by eijicomoto »

I was looking for any info. for my Nippon Gakki SKK #20 piano, and hit here.

My wife and I bought it twenty years ago, in Hiroshima, where we live.
Its price was JPY1.08 mil. at that time.
She plays it very frequently, and we still love its clear tone.
She says that its key touch is a little heavier than other ones.

Your question: my answer depends how long you are going to live in Norway, and how frequently you use it, and how much the freight will take.
The piano is worth loving for a long time, but please consider the above.