Advice on possible piano purchase

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

sdurham

Advice on possible piano purchase

Post by sdurham »

I am looking at a classified ad in a local newspaper. It advertises a Story and Clark 5'8" baby grand "with Yamaha works." First of all, I was wondering if Story and Clark is a respectable brand, and if this even matters if it has a Yamaha action? (I don't know what they mean by "works.") Thanks for any advice.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Advice on possible piano purchase

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Yamaha did make some actions for Story & Clark back in the 1970's...... serial numbers possibly starting 5XXXXX. You have answered your own question, and yes, the 'works' will be the mechanism (action) inside. I cant say what the condition it will be in after 40 years, but Yam actions are usually quite reliable. Perhaps get a tech to check it over.... it will probably need regulating/ servicing......
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
sdurham

Post by sdurham »

Yeah, it said it was made in the 70s. Thanks.
...As far as different types of actions, do you think it would still be worth it if it had a simplex? I've heard that baby grands in general aren't great unless they have roller action because of the shortness of the strings and the loss of tone. I have a decent (well not great) upright Kawai and like every young pianist I am planning to buy used and fix up and sell and buy some more until I get that perfect Steinway D... but surely a baby grand would be a step up.
David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by David B »

sdurham wrote:I am planning to buy used and fix up and sell and buy some more until I get that perfect Steinway D...
Hahahaha now THAT'S funny :lol:
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

sdurham wrote:Yeah, it said it was made in the 70s. Thanks.
...As far as different types of actions, do you think it would still be worth it if it had a simplex? I've heard that baby grands in general aren't great unless they have roller action because of the shortness of the strings and the loss of tone. I have a decent (well not great) upright Kawai and like every young pianist I am planning to buy used and fix up and sell and buy some more until I get that perfect Steinway D... but surely a baby grand would be a step up.
Would be highly unlikely to have a SIMPLEX ACTION if made in the seventies,how much is it?. :?
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

A baby grand is not necessarily a step up from an upright; I have had many customers seduced by the 'image' of a grand only to find they've taken a retrograde step. Is the grand longer (minus the keyboard inches) than your Kawai is tall? If not, you could be taking that backward step...
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
sdurham

Post by sdurham »

David B wrote:
sdurham wrote:I am planning to buy used and fix up and sell and buy some more until I get that perfect Steinway D...
Yeah, yeah, I know. :piano; Don't try to talk sense to young pianists in love.
Gill the Piano wrote:A baby grand is not necessarily a step up from an upright; I have had many customers seduced by the 'image' of a grand only to find they've taken a retrograde step. Is the grand longer (minus the keyboard inches) than your Kawai is tall? If not, you could be taking that backward step...
I see. Thanks, I'll check the height.
Would be highly unlikely to have a SIMPLEX ACTION if made in the seventies,how much is it?. :?
I am completely ignorant of when different actions were made, so thanks for your advice. They are asking 1,500 or best offer, they say it is in excellent condition (of course).
sdurham

Post by sdurham »

David B wrote:
Yeah, yeah, I know. :piano; Don't try to talk sense to young pianists in love.
Gill the Piano wrote:A baby grand is not necessarily a step up from an upright; I have had many customers seduced by the 'image' of a grand only to find they've taken a retrograde step. Is the grand longer (minus the keyboard inches) than your Kawai is tall? If not, you could be taking that backward step...
I see. Thanks, I'll check the height.
I am completely ignorant of when different actions were made, so thanks for your advice. They are asking 1,500 US dollars or best offer, they say it is in excellent condition (of course).
Johnkie
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Johnkie »

I am completely ignorant of when different actions were made, so thanks for your advice. They are asking 1,500 US dollars or best offer, they say it is in excellent condition (of course).
The very best advice any of us can give, is for you to contact a good tuner/technician who is local to where you live, and get him/her to cast an eye over it - That person (and only that person ) should then be able, not only to answer all your questions, but also give you guidance on whether the price is fair or not. Having said that however, if you can supply photos we then could at least answer the odd question .... but couldn't possibly guess at it's structural condition. :)
Concert Tuner & Technician for 45+ years - North East UK