Piano buying advice - Yamaha P114T v U1

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Emma1972

Piano buying advice - Yamaha P114T v U1

Post by Emma1972 »

Hi,
I’m about to buy my first piano, and any advice would be very gratefully received. I have a budget of £2,000, and have found two potential private second hand buys, both at exactly that amount.

1) Yamaha P114T, bought new in 2006 and apparently looked after, tuned every 6 months etc;

2) Yamaha U1A, serial number starts 4,412 XXX, owner says she bought it 6 years ago from a music shop in Eastbourne, which received it from the container from Japan – am I right in thinking this is a mid to late 80s model, reconditioned in Japan?

I understand the U series is very well thought of, including the reconditioned older models, but that there’s a danger that thirty year old one would be tired. I have to make up my mind quickly, and I’m not a pianist (yet! – although I am very serious about this investment), so does anyone have a strong general view about which would be better (I know it’s impossible to say anything with certainty without actually seeing the pianos in question, but gross generalisations would be really useful to me at this stage so I don’t waste anyone’s time).

Thanks very much

Emma
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Piano buying advice - Yamaha P114T v U1

Post by mdw »

The U1 is a good bit of kit BUT get it checked over by someone who knows what they are doing. The 2nd hand Yams range from 1st class good as new to shoddy worn out junk. The case will probably look A1 on both the good and bad so you really need to know the condition inside.

The P114T at 5 years old should be mint but someone else has taken the 1st depreciation hit on it so for a layman might be a safer bet.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Would agree with mdw advice but as its a private sale my pitch would be £1500 if both in mint condition and get the most reputable local tuner to the pianos to check them over.You will have transport costs, tuning,and the check over fees to take in to account,its a buyers market.GOOD LUCK.
Emma1972

Post by Emma1972 »

thanks very much to you both - really good advice.

Emma
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Hi Emma,
My feeling is that the P114 is too small in heigh at 114cm. The U1 is 121cm and that is a much healthier height. The U3 is 131cm and has a very rich tone but the U1, although slightly brighter in tone usually, is still a high quality tone. I'd worry about going for something as small as 114cm.

A U series piano is built to a higher standard than a P series piano and I wouldn't be at all worried about a U1 with serial number beginning with a 4. You should be careful if the serial number begins with a 1 or a 2 but if it starts with 3 or 4 I'd say you are likely to have a high quality instrument on your hands. It's always best to get the piano checked out before buying as there are things that a technician will check that you would never dream to check.

The golden rule is to visit both pianos before making a decision. Remove the top panel and the bottom panel, take a torch and have a very good poke around to look for anything that looks too dusty or mouldy or corroded. Ideally, take a piano technician to help you with this.

You could also be very cheeky and ask the seller for the phone number of their piano tuner and ask for his opinion of the piano and find out if it has been regularly tuned and maintained.

In summary, the p114 is a smaller cheaper, lower-grade piano than the bigger, better U1 model. If it's a nice U1 in nice condition then I'd go for that one.

I also agree that you should push the price down to £1500. If they grumble at that price leave them alone for a few days and say you could offer £1600 but it would take you 2 weeks to raise the extra £100.

For piano removals I've had good experience with these national movers
www.pianospeed.com (jon is very friendly and efficient. Highly recommended)
www.tenniswoods.co.uk (excellent service, Davy is a friendly and reliable man who moves loads of pianos ;) )
www.nwpc.co.uk Phone David on 07960 102208. Based in the North but covers the whole country.
www.gandrremovals.co.uk (large company with big vans and a big work force)
www.pianologistics.com (large company. Possibly the most expensive of the above but they have built a strong brand for themselves and have a truck with a crane built onto it which may or may not help you)

Or if it's within the North West I can help with a delivery service too.

Sorry if I've waffled on too long :)
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

MarkGoodwinPianos wrote:You could also be very cheeky and ask the seller for the phone number of their piano tuner and ask for his opinion of the piano and find out if it has been regularly tuned and maintained.
You are correct that would be very very cheeky!!!. If you want the piano checked over take an independent tuner and pay his/her price to check it over. Shouldnt cost more thatn £40 and could well save you loads.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

mdw wrote:
MarkGoodwinPianos wrote:You could also be very cheeky and ask the seller for the phone number of their piano tuner and ask for his opinion of the piano and find out if it has been regularly tuned and maintained.
You are correct that would be very very cheeky!!!. If you want the piano checked over take an independent tuner and pay his/her price to check it over. Shouldnt cost more thatn £40 and could well save you loads.
Call me old fashioned but i still stand by the ideals that when buying a piano you buy it from a piano store where the owner is a decent piano tuner/tech and more often than not a player no matter how skilled.Skilled players may sell pianos but dont have a clue of the workings,tuning etc. £40 right price for this service.would you buy used car without AA or RAC check?
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

mdw wrote:
Image I'll go along with that. £40 very well spent. However, I know that very few people actually take this advice, most just take a chance and buy without professional advice.

I hope Emma does take the advice but if not, take a torch, removal all panels and have a good nosey around. Take some close-up photos of the action, hammers, dampers etc and put them on here so we can have a good nosey.
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

mdw wrote:
Well that is the advice I give to folk who are looking at Ebay after telling them don't if they must get one from ebay I tell them to find out who the tuner was and ask about the piano. if they can't afford a tuner to look or just don't want to pay

As to it costing £40 Hmm well if its a client of mine then no change if I am in that area that day. But if not an existing client its £65.00 if I have to write a report

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I tell them to find out who the tuner was and ask about the piano
It's a reasonable request and only slightly cheeky Image
Last edited by MarkGoodwinPianos on 17 Feb 2011, 14:04, edited 2 times in total.
Feg

Post by Feg »

I don't think it is at all cheeky to about any piano's tuning history/piano tuner etc.

If you were buying a car, you would want to see the service history etc. If the seller of a car couldn't/wouldn't provide a service history, you would walk away from the deal. Why shouldn't the same principle apply to pianos?
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Feg wrote:I don't think it is at all cheeky to about any piano's tuning history/piano tuner etc.

If you were buying a car, you would want to see the service history etc. If the seller of a car couldn't/wouldn't provide a service history, you would walk away from the deal. Why shouldn't the same principle apply to pianos?
Would ask the question but will still pay a reputable local tuner to give me a report on the piano and expect to pay for that service.Regards buying a used car privately or from a dealer would still pay the AA or RAC a fee to give me the lowdown regards condition etc,nothings for free and sellers and buyers are not always honest.
Bob Pierce
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Bob Pierce »

£65.00 is a fair price to pay for peace of mind. But do take a decent technician with you.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I find people are more inclined to bring their piano teacher rather than their piano tuner, which is a bit strange. But I suppose they see their teacher every week and there is a lot of trust and dialogue in that relationship.
shabzy

Post by shabzy »

Interesting.
I have been offered a new unused Yam P114 for £3,500. Is this a good price considering it was discontinued 2 years ago?