A 444 pitch

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

vernon

A 444 pitch

Post by vernon »

Does anyone know who raised the pitch to A 444?
No one asked me,and,worse,never told me.
How do wind players cope or do they all have to buy a new instrument or saw a chunk out.
As far as I can observe,new pianos arrive in either pitch.
It is my opinion,based on experiences, that it wreaks havoc with tuning stability on older pianos.
On no account would I tune a piano at A444 unless specifically asked to.

Who changed it?
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: A 444 pitch

Post by joe »

Many new Yamaha pianos come into showrooms at 446 Hz especially the B-Series so you tune them and after a few tuning over first couple of years they settle around the 442 Hz so why are they so sharp i put it down to transportation and storage and they are unprepped before leaving depot,LAZY.Many orcheastras prefer the piano to be tuned to 442 Hz as they find it records better and sounds more in tune with other instruments the sound of slighty sharper sounds are more easy on the ear than flatness.
vernon

Re: A 444 pitch

Post by vernon »

It's not only Yamahas but many others.
I'm hoping to hear some tuners 'observations on the "Retailer Forum" as to their experience with the effects on older pianos.
I've had two recently, both from establised dealers originally, that wouldn't stand but have been cured by tuning down to 440. Mind you,one of them was also so badly regulated that it didn't even play properly.
Looked nice tho!
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk