Whiter Shade of ?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

alandav123
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Whiter Shade of ?

Post by alandav123 »

Hi all, how would one go about getting a shade/color/tint etc code that would allow a sprayer to match the color as close as to re spray a baby grand piano?.

I have a sprayer well versed in spraying all manner of things from classic cars, classic boats both wooden and GRP, plus numerous other serious projects.
The only thing at the moment is we do not know a ballpark "white" that we can used as a guide.
I just do not want the finished product to blind the guests as they arrive, a subtle white tone would be great but at the moment I do not even have a starting point.

Regards and thanks in advance

Alan

Re: Whiter Shade of ?

Post by mdw »

What are you spraying it with. I would guess anything else other than polyester will sink over time ( even polyester does over many years).
alandav123
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by alandav123 »

its being done in a two pac polyurothane and he can order it up in any color, but we just need a UK recognised color code.

Regards and thanks

alan
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

there is no codes for any piano finish. Just pick a colour. An off white is better.Just go to the paint suppliers and ask to see a colour sample. Or go to Halfords and look at the spray cans. Personaly I would not use 2pk, bartop lac is better as its easy to use and applie more coats, you can also pullover. Just remember that wood will flex, will the finish crack like eairly polyester?
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

Usual off-white I would chose is BS 10B15 often referred to as Gardenia and used for interior decor. Fairly neutral colour. This is off the BS4800 colour specifications and pretty universal for an off-white.

I wouldn't use polyeurathene!

Polyester finish much better. Whatever finish you use must be suitable for timber.
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

funny you should say that, i once tuned a grand piano which had loads of coats of yacht varnish. Looked good from a distance, but i couldnt get the action out as all the panels were stuck as he painted it with all the panels still on!
2pk has to be done right first time which i hate, precat bartop is much more user friendly, and comes in colours, just use the right thinners.
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
alandav123
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by alandav123 »

Just to say thank you all for your input.

I will hopefully post pictures of the piano when finished.

Regards Alan

www.alandavidson.me.uk