I need a tech

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I need a tech

Post by Openwood »

My C3 has been on its side in storage since mid-December whilst my new house is being made ready. The time has come for it to be put back on its legs and I would like a good technician to come and give it a service and tuning to check that everything has survived the storage and is in good order. As most of you know, I live on Guernsey so it involves travelling by air to and from the island. I'd be grateful if you could suggest some good techs in the South-West of England who I could approach to see if they might be willing to come across for a day. Obviously I'd cover all travel expenses plus a full day's worth of work - I appreciate it has to be worth their while to be away from their regular round for a whole day. Ideally it would be in February.
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: I need a tech

Post by NewAge »

Openwood,
I guess you should know best, but with a population of over 160,000 people, I’m amazed that there is no reputable tech in the Channel Islands. :?:
Do those hotels, music schools and private individuals (with pianos) pay for techs to travel from the mainland?
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
vernon

Post by vernon »

See previous postings
ie I hope the sap has not drained from your wrest plank or the hammers are not playing the next note ,let alone the moths and rodents making free with your succulent felts, etc.
It is to be hoped the storeman has not been transfixed by hurtling wrestpins.
I would love to pop down to Guernsey from Inverness but am too busy fighting the recession to take on more business and make more money.
Shoorley there is un(e) accordeur(se) francais(se) in Cherbourg who would be able to screw up your joanna for you?
bw
Vernon
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

160,000 inhabitants? You're havin' a laff; there's just over 60,000 of us clinging to this rock and even that's pretty snug. There are a few tuners over here, but I would rather get someone across from the mainland for this job. I'm expecting the thing to fall apart like a clown's car when it's finally turned over, but hopefully that sturdy Japanese construction will prevail :?

Oh crap, I really hope I can find someone to do it :(
vernon

Post by vernon »

Can't you hire a charabanc and at least half a dozen of us forum experts could descend on you?
Think of the piano crap that would be spoken then.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Can't you hire a charabanc and at least half a dozen of us forum experts could descend on you?
It could be like the 'Are you being served' movie when they all go on holiday! Or, if the discussion turns to preferred makes of piano, it could be more like Reservior Dogs 8)
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Reservior
See, the buzzing is driving me so mad I can't spell anymore either :sad:
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Openwood wrote:
It could be like the 'Are you being served' movie when they all go on holiday! Or, if the discussion turns to preferred makes of piano, it could be more like Reservior Dogs 8)
More like "Futtocks End" if you ask me. We could even get a bewildered Kawai tech to turn up to complete the picture.
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
Feg

Post by Feg »

The PTA have two Members who advertise that they work on Guernsey. Their details appear on the PTA website - Find A Tuner button and type in Guernsey. Alternatively, we have a number of members who are willing to travel anywhere. I don't know if their details are yet on the website so you can PM me if you want a list and contact numbers etc.

Fiona