Chinese Porcelain Piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

tuquefbensaib

Chinese Porcelain Piano

Post by tuquefbensaib »

Is that real? :shock:
(See this article:
http://www.chinese-tools.com/china/craz ... piano.html)

How is it even possible to make such a thing?
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

Yes, it is quite possible, but it must be REALLY heavy. The main problem with making something of this size in porcelain is being able to achieve acceptable dimensional tolerances. It will just be the casework made in porcelain but I expect it is made in smaller sections and assembled later. The Victorians used to make some really huge porcelain items such as large tub baths, slab urinals etc but this is rarely done today due to the expense.

Wonder what it sounds like. Obviosuly the soundboard and internals must be of the conventional type but the casing must affect the sond to a degree.

It's like the old saying - you can get just about anything if you're prepared to pay for it!
Last edited by Pianomate on 04 Dec 2008, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

I like the way they have made the porcelin inside of the rim look just like the the mahogany inside of a normal piano rim, very clever!!! :shock:
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

I remember seeing a polycarbonate skeleton (see through) piano once at an exhibition. Looked amazing at the time but it would look crap as soon as any dust started to gather inside the casework or would be a nightmare to keep clean.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

A porcelain piano? It reminds me of one of Dr. Johnson's observations:

"A woman's preaching is like a dog dancing on its hinder legs. It is not done well; but you are surprised to find that it is done at all."

He wouldn't have got very far in what passes for the Church of England these days, of course 8)
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
pianotechman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by pianotechman »

I had to work on a Steinway grand belonging to a Saudi royal, that was covered in green malachite and gold cherubs,[ I believe there were only three made] It weighed a 'ton', and I suppose if it was damaged you'd have to call in a lapidary rather than a polisher! :lol:
David Hamilton Smith
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

pianotechman wrote:I had to work on a Steinway grand belonging to a Saudi royal, that was covered in green malachite and gold cherubs,[ I believe there were only three made] It weighed a 'ton', and I suppose if it was damaged you'd have to call in a lapidary rather than a polisher! :lol:
That would be like the one on the front of the latest piano auctions brochure then. Estimated to sell at £250-£300,000. Yet more proof that money and good taste never mix :lol: Mid 1930's pimp and bling. Looks like the inside of the lid was done in green velvit.