U1 buying advice

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Twigs

U1 buying advice

Post by Twigs »

We are looking to buy a piano for our daughter, she is grade 4 standard and we are looking for something to reward her passion and dedication to playing, that will carry her through for some years.

We visited Millers in Cambridge and looked at both Yamaha U1's and Yamaha CVP's, after playing on both (and other makes and models) it was the second hand U1 she fell in love with. This is a 1974 model at £3,000, I dont know the series number as I have only found out about these through this forum!

It was a beautiful piano in excellent nick and the sound was superb, this exact piano had been reserved but I was assured there were more to be had that may or may not be in as good condition, or even better.

We know nothing about buying pianos, Millers is a reputable company but does £3,000 for a '74 model seem expensive?

Many thanks....
ennjaydee
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by ennjaydee »

I'd suggest trying several pianos before finalising your decision. Every single one will sound different.

The U1 has a good reputation and regular posters on this forum will, I am sure offer you very good advice about the U1 and other similar options to consider.

In my own search I looked at several U3s, and finding the 1970's-80's models with 3-4,000,000 serial number lacking somewhat (especially bass range) compared to later 5,000,000+ serial versions. I found several used U3s in the 3-4k pound range but in general thought the newer the better. U1's will be less and price will depend upon age, condition and whether there has been any refurbishment done. By sticking to a reputable dealer you should receive a guarantee and in general you will be paying for what you get; but try to find an independent expert to help you find the right piano at the right price if you are in any doubt.
jackg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by jackg »

Your is a frequent question, this thread may help you to decide.

http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-forums/vi ... ht=million
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: U1 buying advice

Post by PianoGuy »

Twigs wrote: We know nothing about buying pianos, Millers is a reputable company but does £3,000 for a '74 model seem expensive?

Many thanks....
Yes. About £500 too much, unless it's 'factory' rebuilt. These are almost indistinguishable from new externally, and internally should have clean bright strings and unmarked new hammers. All loops and springs should also have been replaced for that kind of money.