I've been give the choice of piano for a concert

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I've been give the choice of piano for a concert

Post by joseph »

I'm playing a concert for this music club and it was originally going to be in the annex of this hall in whereverville (not wanting to give away too much at this stage).

Anyway I got a call from the chairperson of the committee, who explained that their Steinway B is from 1910 and while its very nice it requires reconditioning. Their tuner has offered to recondition it (although they really should send it to Mr Leverett rather than the local tech. . . . . )

This lady told me that the piano wont be ready on time for my concert and they could hold off the reconditioning if I wanted, or as an alternative, they could hold the concert in the main hall, which has a brand new Yamaha S6, and would I mind playing on a Yamaha rather than a Steinway?!

Naturally I picked the Yamaha guys! Now, if it was a NEW Steinway B over an S6 I may have had a different answer (well, maybe not :wink: )
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

which has a brand new Yamaha S6, and would I mind playing on a Yamaha rather than a Steinway?!
You lucky lucky sod. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

i've played some nice ones in my time - one recital i gave on a new Bosendorfer 7'4 model, the keyboard went down to an F. The piano almost played itself, it was amazing! The RSAMD Steinways are all beautiful to perform on, and the piano in Cheltenham Town Hall is one of my other faves! GORGEOUS model D.

The RSAMD sold most of their pianos and now rent from M.I.F.C.O and they sold the most beautiful CFIIIS Concert grand, only 5 years old, hardly played, for £15K. If only I had the space, I'd have found the money somehow! They still have a couple of really nice model Ds that will be sold in the next few years, Now, if I could just find a home big enough.....
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

they sold the most beautiful CFIIIS Concert grand, only 5 years old, hardly played, for £15K
Openwood is weeping whilst repeatedly banging his head on the table.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Yes, so was Joseph at the time. Although a 9 footer wouldn't even get through my front door, my 6 footers JUST made it!
Katmid
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Katmid »

Lordy, I wish I could home a real piano, upright or otherwise! But unless I tear my newly decorated house apart I would have to play in the hall but then I wouldn't be able to get out of the door and the tuner wouldn't be able to get in. Not ideal. :?

Stinky digital will have to do for the time being. :(
Mark Heller
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Mark Heller »

What will you be playing Joseph? (Or is that top-secret as well? :wink: )
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

I'll be playing the Yamaha

oh you mean the programme? Its not secret but i can't remember off hand, i'll have to look it up for you! Its at the end of march.
vernon

Post by vernon »

look it up before the Concert!
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Schumann, Abegg Variations
Beethoven Sonata In D major Op.28 'Pastorale'
INTERVAL
Bartok Suite Op.14
Grieg Sonata Op.7
Chopin Scherzo In B-flat minor
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

they'd asked for a particularly romantic programme, so I picked particularly romantic works :D
Mark Heller
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Mark Heller »

Yes, very romantic!

Haven't played any of the pieces myself, but it sounds like quite a lot of work to get them all up and concert-ready - good luck!

Mark
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

yes it is, but its work that i'm used to by now
Mark Heller
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Mark Heller »

Just interested Joseph - do you ever record yourself playing, and if so, do you find it useful?

Mark
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

yes, i'm just about to release my debut CD, and yes it has been a baptism of fire. The CD was done over 2 days in August, at the Caird Hall in Dundee. I have been recording for a couple of years though, with a professional engineer, to get into the process if you like.

I have found that it makes me strive to find the most beautiful sound I am capable of making. You know, when you play a concert, sometimes you can get a bit excited (which is good) but you can tense up a bit and make the piano jar a bit (which is bad). Thats OK in a live situation because the moment is over in a flash, but on a recording you have to be aware of everything.

This has transfered to my live performance in that I seem to listen to myself much more acutely, I'm far more aware of every sound I make. I thought I was pretty good at judging tone before I started recording, but really I was amateur in comparison to where I am now, and I STILL feel I have a long way to go.

Mind you, Ashkenazy always feels he has a long way to go, so did Rubenstein! (not that I'm comparing myself to these legendary men).
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

joseph wrote:yes, i'm just about to release my debut CD, and yes it has been a baptism of fire. The CD was done over 2 days in August, at the Caird Hall in Dundee. I have been recording for a couple of years though, with a professional engineer, to get into the process if you like.
Was it on a Bluthner

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Katmid
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Katmid »

joseph wrote:yes, i'm just about to release my debut CD, and yes it has been a baptism of fire.
Hey Jospeh, that's really cool. Are you going to tell us when it's out and where we can get it from? :wink:
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

It wasn't a Bluthner, it was on a Steinway, the caird hall Steinway which is a 1984 model D. Its a nice piano but I think they should think about giving it some serious action work, and perhaps they'll need to re string parts of it.

The CD will hopefully be available mid november, although i've just had word that theres a problem with the artwork files...... :evil:
Mark Heller
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Mark Heller »

Very interesting Joseph, look forward to hearing the finished CD!

I know what you mean about recording vs playing live - live is more about capturing the mood, and a few duff notes/sounds don't matter so much, as they're (hopefully!) quickly forgotten. When it's recorded though, you may end up listening to the same mistake 100's of times!

Anyway, I'm hoping that the process of preparing my pieces to the standard required to record them, and then listening back will really help me reach a new level...

Mark
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Very interesting Joseph, look forward to hearing the finished CD!
Me too! Keep us posted.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Mark Heller wrote:Very interesting Joseph, look forward to hearing the finished CD!

Anyway, I'm hoping that the process of preparing my pieces to the standard required to record them, and then listening back will really help me reach a new level...

Mark

It will, good luck! Get someone else to listen to you as you record if its for a commercial venture.
Mark Heller
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Mark Heller »

Thanks, it's only for pleasure, but you never know, one day!