Broadwood Steel Barless Grand

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

First of all they started making barless grand in 1888 so yours will not be one of the first - production stopped around the first world war because of shortage of steel However, they had made quite a few grands in a few models Their concert grand was 8ft 6", the drawing room grand 7ft 9", the semi-grand 7ft 3", the boudoir 7ft 1" and the short grand was 6ft'3". So they made a quite a few not 8 to 10 the concert grand would have been made in fewer numbers However, it was regarded as a very good concert grand at the time . On the 26th of February 1897 they used a barless concert grand with the number 44752 at the St. James Hall. it was said to have a very powerful tone, comparing very favourably with others, such as Steinways
. They constructed their first overstrung 6ft 4" grand in February 1896, rather late in the day and there are quite a few of them around I have never seen a straight strung barless grand myself

Who did you communicate with at Broadwoods they normally don’t date pianos to a month just the year

As for price fully restored the over strung ones fetch anything from 5,000 upwards depending on the retailer un touched I would not pay more than &400 and it would have to be in good nick for me to pay that.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page