John Ellis piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Bill Kibby

Ellis

Post by Bill Kibby »

Yes, I have tuned a few John Ellis pianos over the years, from around 1900-1910, including one owned by a John Ellis, unrelated to the maker. They described their address as London, but Upton Park was not in London then, so they don't show up in London lists! They were established in 1888, and I have been unable to do any more than estimate the dates. I can compile a report from photos via my email address, and I'll see what else I can find.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Bill Kibby

John Ellis

Post by Bill Kibby »

Thanks for that, it is very interesting to know he was in Dalston. I only have that firm listed as J. Ellis, and could not assume that it was the same as John Ellis, of Upton Park. Is there any chance I could get a copy or scan of the receipt?

Ignore the comments below about photos!
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
bdfurnas

john ellis piano

Post by bdfurnas »

I have a John Ellis which badly needs overhauling
Is it worth it?
Who refurbishes pianos?
Look forward to hearing from anyone with any suggestions
Thanks
Bill Kibby

Ellis

Post by Bill Kibby »

It is impossible to answer without on-the-spot inspection, which I can only do in East Anglia. Otherwise, ask your local tuner or nearest piano shop.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
omeprazole

Re: John Ellis piano

Post by omeprazole »

I have had a John Ellis piano for over 20 years and love it. It is walnut and has a beautiful mellow warm tone. It had brackets for candles at each end which had been taken off before I bought it and it also has Iron frame, Check action full trichord stamped on it above the keyboard. I am thinking about upgrading it but cannot find one I enjoy playing as much as this one. It really is wonderful that they have lasted so long.
StephenC

Re: John Ellis piano

Post by StephenC »

omeprazole wrote:I have had a John Ellis piano for over 20 years and love it. It is walnut and has a beautiful mellow warm tone. It had brackets for candles at each end which had been taken off before I bought it and it also has Iron frame, Check action full trichord stamped on it above the keyboard. I am thinking about upgrading it but cannot find one I enjoy playing as much as this one. It really is wonderful that they have lasted so long.
I also have Jon Ellis piano for about 7 years now. And it still sounds great.Produces piano music beautifully.