Grey imports vs. Buying new

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

ConcernedParent

Grey imports vs. Buying new

Post by ConcernedParent »

Hello,
I am the parent of a couple of children who currently play at grade two and five (a third may yet take up piano.) They have played at home on a reasonable digital piano, though I am aware of the limitations that this presents.

I have been looking to buy an acoustic piano for a number of months now but the process is becoming muddier with each conversation and visit to piano dealers.

I have decided not to pursue the "secondhand piano - would suit beginner and/or children" route because of the variable quality and lack of provenance available. Neither my wife or myself play piano, so our ability to judge or play piano to determine suitability is compromised.

There are a lot of "fully reconditioned" Yamaha U3's in dealers and on the net which on the face of it appear a good deal. However, if considering the cost of these (around £2500) I would probably look to spend a bit more and buy new - I'm considering the Yamaha P121. Does this alternative offer the mix of price for quality that I'm looking for. There is no fixed budget, but would an increased cost result in a substantial increse in quality?

In general, what are your opinions on these grey import? Do they represent good value or are they just buffed up examples of questionable reconditioning? Were these pianos ever suitable for our market/climate or will the problems only become apparent at a later date. Some dealers I have spoken to insist they get the best examples of these and claim they are "as new." The varying ages quoted suggest differing original specifications which is difficult to keep track of.

My problem, is that if they make these claims and I come to the conclusion they are unfounded - I am still trying to keep an open mind - how can I trust them regarding the purchase of a new piano, whichever my final choice.

Any opinions or further info on the above would be greatly appreciated.
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

The 2nd hand Yams range from good to rubish. If you want to be 100% sure buy new and if you dont want to follow the crowd but still want a good piano try the same size Kemble. Might cost you a bit more now but the residuals will be better if you have to sell, also has a nicer case and a bit more class!

Ask about to find a trust worthy local dealer. Then trust him/her. Take their advice and buy from them. Dont ask them to match a internet price after you have spent 3 hours trying their stock and picking their brains.
NOT suggesting you will but it happens.
Good luck!!
Grenache
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Grenache »

I visited a few dealers and would suggest you look at Peter Smith in Paisley and Edinburgh Piano co in Howard Street in Edinburgh, both were very helpful.

I eventually chose a U1 (as I wanted a silent option), but I was also impressed with the Brodmann 125 in Edinburgh. The new price was very reasonable, I felt.

Everyone will tell you on this forum that no two pianos are alike and you really have to try them out - take your grade five pianist along, both dealers will be happy to accommodate, and you should have no worries about the history if you buy new.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

i can second a visit to the edinburgh piano co, I got a fantastic deal on my brodmann from there. I don't know much about peter smith but i know that he does a roaring trade amonst amatuers and musicians alike so that should count for something!
djtoast
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by djtoast »

I tried a few pianos in Peter Smith in Paisley - for ages I was 90% decided on a U3, and they always a have a few in - and the guy was indeed very helpful and they have a huge selection of new and used pianos.

But I ended up buying a Brodmann from the newish Glasgow store McLarens though - he had almost the whole range in stock (116, 121, 125, 132, 154, 162, 187 - just the 128 and the 150 and the largest two grands - which I'm not sure are released yet - were missing from the line-up!) and since then he's also got some of the European-built models in, which are really, really nice.

There's lots of other good stuff in to, Kembles notably, and a lovely ~7 foot Bechstein to leer at which also serves as a pretty good reference point to put the Brodmanns in some context.

I dunno where in Scotland you are but if you're within easy travelling distance, definitely give them a visit, the shop is on Clyde street very near the St Enoch Centre:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en ... =UTF8&z=16
ConcernedParent

Post by ConcernedParent »

Thanks for the input .

I have been along to Peter Smith in Paisley, and yes, they have a good selection.

We tried several new pianos. They didn't push us to any reconned Yamahas, although they stock them - the market demands this, I suppose. The opinion of the people there was in favour of the equivalent Kawai to the U1. The model in the shop was noticeably better sounding to an untrained ear as well as those who know about these things.

The equivalent Kawai is less expensive than the U1 and the guarantee on a new model is more generous, though, the residuals may suffer.

I haven't had a chance to go into the store in Clyde street, Glasgow. I'm in Perthshire, but don't mind travelling through (to Edinburgh either, in fact) to get the best help from a dealer - and then, of course, buy from the 'net, just kidding!

Any input from you guys regarding this is still appreciated. I never intended this being an impulse purchase and I'm not convinced in any direction yet.
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Go with the the Kawai, IMO its a better bit of kit, should hold its value better as there are thousands of 2nd hand Yams out there.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

mdw wrote:Go with the the Kawai, IMO its a better bit of kit, should hold its value better as there are thousands of 2nd hand Yams out there.
I don't think it will.

Much as I rate new Kawais, second hand ones are blighted with the "Kawai who?" syndrome.

Go for the Kawai if you genuinely like it, not because you think it'll be an investment. Only German Steinway grands are investments in the piano world.
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

PianoGuy wrote:
mdw wrote:Go with the the Kawai, IMO its a better bit of kit, should hold its value better as there are thousands of 2nd hand Yams out there.
I don't think it will.

Much as I rate new Kawais, second hand ones are blighted with the "Kawai who?" syndrome.

Go for the Kawai if you genuinely like it, not because you think it'll be an investment. Only German Steinway grands are investments in the piano world.
Only my humble opinion. I would rather stand out from the crowd than be yet another 2nd hand trad style black Yam in a market already full of s***y 2nd hand black trad style Yams. Over the next few years these are going to be bailed out by hard up households as the economy goes further down the pan. And I agree, I wouldnt buy any piano as an invenstment in anything other than the enjoyment of using it. Its a mass produced product. It will never be better than the day it arrived from the shop.