Astor Grand Piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

lpt100
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Astor Grand Piano

Post by lpt100 »

Hello, my school has 3 Astor grand pianos, two nice black ones and one white one, enough sed. Any way i've been looking around the internet trying to find some infomation on them cause i've really fallen in love with the one in south block, (even nicer than the concert grand Bechstien in the assembely rooms) :roll: and would like to find somewhere to purchase them. i have asked at school but hte purcheser isn't avaliable anymore. Any infomation on this brand would be great. Thanks.
The pianoforte is to music what print is to poetry.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

There has been quite a few Astors over the years, the one I have tuned was made by Young Chang and was very nice indeed it was a hire piano so I only got to tune it the once I would try a Young Chang dealer

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
lpt100
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

astor

Post by lpt100 »

Thanks, i'll look into that. My favorite one is a beautiful instrument especially when fully open in the concert hall, unfortunately we have a problem with kids hammering it at break times. We cant lock it because they'll force it open and we cant lock the room as people who need the hall wont be able to get in and theres 4 doors so its a fire hazard things. Have you any suggestions? also the action seems a bit funny. When the key is pressed lightly on some of the lower abused notes 'stick' to the strings. I've been shown how to adjust this, by taking of the key cover and screwing up some wooden dowl type thing, this sloves the problem for a bit but it seems to come loose again. I've done my best in trying to protect this piano, even spent a hour cleaing it the other day so any suggestions on its protection would be greatly appriciated. Thanks
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: astor

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Topic moved:
lpt100 wrote: unfortunately we have a problem with kids hammering it at break times. We cant lock it because they'll force it open and we cant lock the room as people who need the hall wont be able to get
in and theres 4 doors so its a fire hazard things. Have you any suggestions?
I have fitted quite a few of these in schools
http://www.fletcher-newman.co.uk/catalo ... s/758.html

there is a metal version with a big pad lock. A piano cover with D rings and chains fitted is also a good one protects the case as well
lpt100 wrote: also the action seems a bit funny. When the key is pressed lightly on some of the lower abused notes 'stick' to the strings. I've been shown how to adjust this, by taking of the key cover and screwing up some wooden dowl type thing, this sloves the problem for a bit but it seems to come loose again. Thanks
Sounds like your set off button threads have been sheared off take the button off and pack the hole a bit also a bit of extra felt on the pad will allow you to screw the button up more into the rail giving more grip You are lucky the jack did not snap

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
lpt100
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

piano locks

Post by lpt100 »

Thank you, i'll put this idea forward to the people with the money but it looks like our design tech department will be given the task of building one :P hehe they'll love it.