Identify August Forster German made pianos

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

richarddale
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Identify August Forster German made pianos

Post by richarddale »

There are 2 August Forster pianos for sale at Lanes in Croydon, I hope to check them out soon, one is 1993 3500 model D, the other is an older model at 2950. How can I tell if they are the German as opposed to the Czech made piano.
Do they have made in germany stamped somehere!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Try asking the manufacture
http://www.august-foerster.de/

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
richarddale
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by richarddale »

duh.......

email sent to AF
richarddale
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by richarddale »

this piano I'm interested in was reported bought in year 2000 but according to the serial number it is 1997, could it have been in the showroom (Markson) for 3 years.
If I were to value it now would I value it as a 1997 or 2000 piano in terms of depreciation
cheers
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The value point would be 1997 and yes it could have been in the showroom for 3 years see Bill post
http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-forums/vi ... .php?t=536

it is as valid to day as 100 years ago Unlike cars who only get the number plate when it rolls out of the showroom pianos get a number with the first piece of wood

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
richarddale
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by richarddale »

thanks barrie

hopefully I can knock a bit off the asking price
richarddale
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by richarddale »

I've played the Model D they have in Lanes at &3500 serial number 160819, Lanes say it is a 1993 piano though pianos.co.uk have it at 1991
I like it, is this a good price, it sounded a lot better than the petrov (dampened) and seiler (very bright)
Forsters are made in E Germany, any horror stories about the factory under the control of the stasi
I guess in 1991 their influence had supposedly diminished so we are led to believe
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

pianos.co.uk are correct – as to horror stores most of the old Eastern Block piano were poor but since the wall came down and western money and quality control has been introduced the factories that have took it on have come a long way. I have not seen any new AF the only one I have worked on are quite old - the best person to chat to would be the local tuner near a dealer who sells them they will aware of any long term problems

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
richarddale
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by richarddale »

the piano has been confirmed by anne forster as 1991 vintage curiously enough retailed by the same dealer in Poole as the 1997 model E so that ties in quite neatly
the 1991 AF is much better than the older model that Lanes have for sale at 3K which is in fact 1970s rather than 1980s as they intimated
so assuming that they offer me a reasonable deal on my welmar I'll go for it

Ps they had a 1980s fairly ordinary upright bluthner at lanes for &4750, paying a lot for the name in that particular case
richarddale
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by richarddale »

can someone please tell whether these prices are fair or not

1991 (sold 1993) August Forster Modell D 116 &3500 (dealer)

1997 (sold 2000) AF Modell E 116 &5000 (private)

assume normal or underuse, good condition, no problems, no scratches etc

NB I've seen other AF pianos advertised for less (though I've never managed to catch up with the buyer)