J Bradford & Co, London

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

orthin

J Bradford & Co, London

Post by orthin »

We've just bought a 'J Bradford & Co, London' piano and was interested in finding out more about its history. Does anyone have any information on the company?

The piano has a vine/grape design and the previous owner believes it's around 100 years old.

Thanks
Bill Kibby

Bradford

Post by Bill Kibby »

We have come across these pianos before, but no firm of that name appears in our London lists between 1840 and 1938. One possible explanation is that they were based just outside the city but still put "London" on their pianos. To trace them, we would need more clues as to where to start with over a million entries. Of course, it may well be an alias used on pianos bought in from an anonymous London wholesaler, in which case any clues will be hidden inside. Have a look at the Datemarks page at www.pianogen.org

Could you email photos to me?
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Pascal de Bruijne

J. Bradford & Co - London

Post by Pascal de Bruijne »

Hi,

Last week I bought an upright piano from J. Bradford & Co. in London and was hoping to find out more background information aswell. The serialnumber is "8310". I have pictures of it, but unfortuantely cannot add them to this message.

Underneath the name Bradford, it mentions another name: J. Marr Wood & Co. Ltd. in Glasgow. I tried Google, but didn't find any valueble info. Perhaps this name rings a bell to anyone?

Anyway, next week I am having the piano looked over and reconditioned by an expert. I am hoping he can tell me more. If so, I will send another message afterwards in this forum.

Regards,
Pascal
Bill Kibby

Bradford

Post by Bill Kibby »

Our first reference to Marr Wood & Co. Ltd. is around 1910 when, despite the suggestion that Marr & Co. had ceased, some pianos were sold with "Marr & Company" as the main name, apparently the makers, and J. Marr Wood & Co. Ltd. underneath, in smaller lettering. The "Ltd." seems to suggest a date after 1911, although the interior design of some pianos looks earlier, and some have a reference to "The Queen" presumed to refer back to Victoria. Others refer to "The King", indicating a date after 1900.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
lijl

Paterson, Marr etc.

Post by lijl »

I have an upright overstrung made by Paterson Sons and Marr Wood Ltd of Aberdeen and have been doing a little research prior to offering it for sale.

I can add a little to the information provided by Bill Kibby.

The company was granted Royal Appointment to Her Majesty Queen Anne and prior to that, His Majesty King George V.

As far as I can see, the two companies had the same honour of appointment to Her Majesty Queen Victoria but as separate companies. For example, the London Gazette edition of 5th January 1900 records them as Paterson & Sons (Music Sellers) of Edinburgh and Marr, Wood & Co (Pianoforte Makers) of Aberdeen.

Prior to this I have found Marr Wood & Co listed as holding Royal Appointment to Queen Victoria as at 8th January, 1897.

Doubtless some more research will reveal more but I hope this may be of interest.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone whjo has any further information.

Thanks,

lijl
Bill Kibby

Marr / Paterson

Post by Bill Kibby »

It just shows my ignorance ot the twentieth century, I can't remember a Queen Anne after George V. All these company name changes are not instant or all-consuming, there are many cases on my files where two or more names co-exist and overlap for years.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
vernon

Re: J Bradford & Co, London

Post by vernon »

Here in N.E. Scotland, Marr Wood pianos are very common and seem to originate in Aberdeen. Whether they actually manufactured I don't know. Someone will know something up here.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Bill Kibby

Re: J Bradford & Co, London

Post by Bill Kibby »

I was trying not to get too deep into a subject which is not related to the heading - Bradford & Co.. We have Aberdeen records of Marr from the 1840s, when he struggled to be accepted against the competition from London.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.