Tuning my own

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

marty.white

Tuning my own

Post by marty.white »

Hi,
I have a new yamaha GB1. I have had it tuned several times but it starts to go out fairly quickly - the odd note here and there. as it costs every time to tune it, i thought i'd get the tool and do it myself.
Now i have found tuning it ok, and no problems getting the tones right.
however, the tool i have has lots of teeth yet my piano's pins are square. i have notice the edges stripping (only a little), and am reluctant to do it anymore.
is there a tuning tool which is square does anyone know - to stop the stripping?
many thanks,
Marty
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

:shock: Well, I'm lost for words (STOP cheering at the back there), but there's a very helpful chap called Pianoguy here on the Forum, and I can't WAIT to see how helpful he'll be... :lol:
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Some people are hardly worth bothering with.

Beyond belief.

Don't be a tight old scrote and..........

Employ a tuner!!!!!!!!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

There. Told you he'd sort you out... :wink:
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

The reason you're mashing up the wrestpins is probably that you've bought a "one size fits all" cheap and nasty tuning crank. These are misleading, because the manufacturers have left out a vital word. It should be "one size fits f**k all".

The star shape should enable the crank to fit the pin in a choice of positions (the star is actually two superimposed squares) but you'll note that a professional tuner carries a selection of different sized and nicer-made-than-yours tuning cranks to obtain a correct fit. No piano on earth actually has star-shaped pins.

This however is only a fraction of the problem. I don't know about you, but I spent four gruelling years at a p**s-boring and anoracksically intensive college course persevering in learning how to tune pianos without making a mess of it. It really does take that long. Once I'd finished the course I then had a while in industry in order to make my mistakes where they could be corrected by people who knew better and far more than I. Then I spent a couple of decades and a bit longer again getting better at it whilst tuning for a grateful public. Three decades on I reckon I've earned the right to tell misguided fools like yourself that it's not worth ballsing up a decent bit of kit like a GB1 by trying to save a few sponds on getting someone like me in every few months.

Now I've told 'im.

:wink:
Feg

Post by Feg »

Beautifully put, Pianoguy :D
marty.white

Post by marty.white »

Thanks for advice PianoGuy. Respect and apologies - I'll call in a tuner and chuck my tool in the bin.
Regards,
Marty
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Good man!

Those cheap tuning tools are a con.

Best used in self defence only.
ryder
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by ryder »

Well, I suppose there is nothing wrong with your intention of tuning the piano on your own. But before you do that be thoroughly sure that you have learned the proper way or skills in doing it, with the proper tools. If not, you would risk screwing up the piano just like what you have done to the pins. Well, at least all the strings are still intact and not broken when tightening!

Having said that, I think it's better to leave the job to tuners since it's their job and main source of income. Except you are really serious in saving up a few pounds.

IMO.
AnonymousBloke
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by AnonymousBloke »

On the subject of tuning your own piano.... how many piano tuners have in tune pianos at home. Speaking for myself, i dont think mine's been tuned in almost 2 years!

After getting home from a long days tuning, the last thing i want to do is tune my piano. Maybe I should get someone in and say "it doesnt sound too bad to me", knowing full well that it sounds awful. Why do people say that?

Sorry - pointless post, but I'm meant to be working on an action at the moment, and dont want to!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

MY piano is in tune...because my husband couldn't stand me whining that it was out of tune, but, like Anonymous Bloke, doing nothing about it because I didn't want to come home after a day tuning to do another tuning.
So in my Christmas stocking was a card..."Steinways will be pleased to commence your tuning contract as of..."
And on the appointed day, at the appointed hour, came the tuner, who called me a lazy b*tch and told me to open a bottle. Mind you, we did train at college together... :oops:
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Piano Dismantling Operations,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z09Zn9TCEZw
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

God, Barrie, that was awful to watch...can I nominate a Baldwin & 2 Wurlitzers for the next 'art' they decide to perpetrate?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Gill the Piano wrote:God, Barrie, that was awful to watch...can I nominate a Baldwin & 2 Wurlitzers for the next 'art' they decide to perpetrate?
I can thing of a few more

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page