To re-polish or not

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

jackg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

To re-polish or not

Post by jackg »

For a 1920 upright Chappell, OS/UD. I am thinking of getting it tied up by a French polisher at a cost of £250-300. I then want to sell it, and probably will not get more than £5-600 for it.
The action could do with renovating as well, recentreing etc
I am not sure whether to stump up the funds and get it done or to sell it as it is for £200 ish.
Oohh, decisions decisions.
It would sell more easily with a nice case, not that it is that grim now, but do I bear the cost or does the buyer?
The case is std mahogany, not any art on it.
It is about the worst time to sell a piano so I could try to sell now to see, but hmm... I could always lie on a beach instead.
Pheonix
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Pheonix »

I have to say that if you can get a Piano french polished for 250-300 pounds,(which by the way is cheap) and that the piano is, in its current state only worth about 200 and needs work doing to the action...that if I were you I would cut my loses and sell it as is, let someone else pay for the restoration if they decide they want to...Even if you pay for the restoration there is a distinct possibility that you will not get your money back and that the Piano will be "all its money" at probably 400-450 pounds...so was it worth doing...proabaly not..

Many people are looking for a piano at reasonable costs, maybe for their young children, the case will be immaterial so long as it plays well...I personally wouldn't saddle myeslf with the extra cost of a french polisher when I have no garauntees that I will get my money back...

Alternatively get a book on french polishing and do it yourself...its not overly difficult to do and very satisfying...I have done many little tables myself for the showroom here and with a little patience and a bit of elbow grease its a doddle...

Save your cash, get to the library, or sell as it is...

Good luck

Pheonix
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I agree with Phoenix; sell as is with the option of the polish if the customer wants it. If someone's buying it for kids to learn on, they won't want to waste money on a polish if it's going to get scratched, kicked and scribbled on!
jackg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by jackg »

Thanks both for your thoughts. I m looking at it soley from my perspective, rather than from any buyers perspective.
I will advertise it.
Ta