Carlmann, Crane or Kemble, I can't decide

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

soppyfool

Carlmann, Crane or Kemble, I can't decide

Post by soppyfool »

I'm missing my piano having swapped for a keyboard some years ago. Wondering if anyone has heard anything of the new Carlmann pianos which I think may be Chinese, retailing in my local showroom at £1,900. Can't decide if this would be good value compared with a new Crane piano direct from the factory and selling on eBay for £1,395 (item 330117473479). Also considering a new Kemble Buckingham at £3,000 which is between the Oxford and Classic T both in size and price, assuming this has a better sound than either of the cheaper pianos mentioned. As there's no chance of playing it first, as it's a case of ordering from the South and we live in the North, I'd appreciate any comments.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Can’t say much about the Chinese ones not sat at one all depend which factory they come from. As for the Kemble there are plenty of shops in the North that stock them they are worth the trouble to seek them out

What part of the North are we taking
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Carlmann, Crane or Kemble, I can't decide

Post by PianoGuy »

soppyfool wrote:I As there's no chance of playing it first, as it's a case of ordering from the South and we live in the North, I'd appreciate any comments.
Here's a comment, and it's the most important one you'll ever hear:

Don't buy a piano, ANY piano without playing it first.

The Kembles are by far the stars here, but heed my first warning. The one in bold.
Get in the car or on a train, visit the dealer and buy the actual piano you like, not a similar one. How many times do we have to tell people this?

And.....

Don't buy a piano blind on the internet* because you'll regret it.

As for the other stuff, the Crane and Carlmann are both Chinese, and are very lowly at that. Both very much entry level. Personally, I have a bit of a problem with a piano that can't even be arsed to get the spelling on the frame badge correct (The badge reads something like "Crane & Sons Estabilished 1851") and if the dealer's selling them that cheap, they'll cost peanuts to buy in.

PG

*Unless it's a fully warranted Bösendorfer for a fiver or less including voicing, preparation and delivery.
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

kembles

Post by A440 »

Yes, there really is no contest. The Kembles are far and away the better piano. There are plenty of dealers in the north.
Try www.headingley-pianos.co.uk they are having a Kemble sale at the moment...
superquark
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Carlmann Pianos

Post by superquark »

I have to say that I can't agree with the Carlmann bashing here - one of my best friends bought one from the local piano shop last year and it is brilliant for the price! The piano teacher was apparently not too happy when told that they had bought a chinese instrument, but now she sings its praises, and has recommended some of her other pupils to consider it.

I'm quite sure that the the Kemble is generally a better instrument, but they paid £1,750 for the Carlmann, including delivery and free first tuning, and it has been a brilliant buy. The teacher says it will be fine all the way to grade 8 without a problem. I reckon that firms like Yamaha are going to have to work hard to justify the 50-60% price premium over good basic instruments like these. There are plenty of terrible chinese pianos around, but the days when you could write them off automatically are long gone!