New 6ft grand piano. Yamaha? Kawai?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

lindsayh

New 6ft grand piano. Yamaha? Kawai?

Post by lindsayh »

I am looking to buy a new (6ft ish) grand piano. I currently have a beautiful 20's Collard & Collard upright which I love, it has a nice mellow tone which I would like to maintain in the new piano. Some of the Yamahas that I have tried are very bright, but I have also tried one which is quite mellow - can the 'prepartion' that is mentioned so often really make that much difference?

I liked the new Kawai Rx2 & Rx3, which were lovely to play - extremely responsive.

I've also heard that new Schimmels are good, although more expensive. Are they worth the extra money?

I can tell that choosing my new piano is going to be a task and a half, any advice that anyone has to offer would be handy!

Thanks!
Lindsayh
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New 6ft grand piano. Yamaha? Kawai?

Post by Barrie Heaton »

lindsayh wrote:I am looking to buy a new (6ft ish) grand piano. I currently have a beautiful 20's Collard & Collard upright which I love, it has a nice mellow tone which I would like to maintain in the new piano. Some of the Yamahas that I have tried are very bright, but I have also tried one which is quite mellow - can the 'prepartion' that is mentioned so often really make that much difference?
Prepping a piano that out of the box will improve a piano quite a lot as to making it mellow that has to be ask for in most shops but the golden rule is by a piano you like to start with not one you have to have altered

lindsayh wrote: I liked the new Kawai Rx2 & Rx3, which were lovely to play - extremely responsive.
This sounds like the piano for you build wise they now as good as a Yamaha on quite a few models its just a matter of taste
lindsayh wrote: I've also heard that new Schimmels are good, although more expensive. Are they worth the extra money?

Thanks!
Lindsayh
Yes and No Schimmel grands are in the same price range of the Yamaha S4 and S6 but the S4 and S6 are discounted some S4 as little at 19K now both Schimmel and Yamaha use a very high grade felt on the hammers on theses pianos so it is a lot easer to obtained a mellow tone with out compromising on the dynamic range.

The Vogel pianos are also worth looking at, not as expensive as a Schimmel but made by them http://www.schimmel-piano.de/e/Vogel/VogelFluegel.html

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
lindsayh

Post by lindsayh »

Thanks Barrie, I think I will go and try some more Kawai's. Having done a littl bit of research into price, they seem to be a tad more expensive than the Yam's, are they worth the extra?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

They are only more expensive because of all the discounting done on Yamahas it will not be long before Kawai are discounted as they are getting popular with retailers in the UK so they are getting better known with the GP so the discounters will take an interest the one

To your question; well I like them, they are nice to work on the only downside I have found is in a shifting environment Kawais do swing a tad more that Yamaha

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
lindsayh

Post by lindsayh »

Thanks again Barrie.

I went to try the Kawais again today, and suprised myself by falling in love with a new Yamaha C3. I also played a 1973 C3 which was nice, and much less money, I have heard bad reports about some 70's Yamahas though, should I be wary?

I have been offered a fab price on the new C3 though ... £10600! from the Bristol piano co. and I would definately get the piano that I've played, which I know is important. They have offered 'in-house' prep because I am local and said that they would part- ex my collard upright. The price only holds until sunday though, as its a 3 day sale this weekend. I may go back in on Sunday to try both Yam's again.
jackg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by jackg »

The price is not unusual.
http://www.chrisvenables.co.uk/modelspe ... 0Piano.htm

Maybe Jeffrey Shackell is worth a call as well, he does decent preparation and sells Yamahas: www.shackellpianos.co.uk/
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

End of year stock clearance your will find some shops doing very good deals as they have to buy so many new ones over the year plus Yamaha have made some changes to some models so some shops don’t want to be left with old stock

Sounds like a good deal form Bristol piano co if you like the piano I would go for it as they are local and are happy to do an in house set up.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Jazzer
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Jazzer »

I agree with Barrie completely. And I'm not surprised that you've fallen for a C3: my experience is that it is a great instrument. Interestingly, however, although there are lots of references elsewhere on this site to Yammies being consistent in their out-of-the-box condition I have come across one or two disappointing C3s in show rooms. As you've played the one you're getting, though, that's not a worry.

Good luck!