Inventing/building piano chords

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

madlyyyyyne

Inventing/building piano chords

Post by madlyyyyyne »

How could I learn how to know where are piano chords like Cm7, D#m6, Amaj9 etc... you know,,those, which have something in the end of it(C,D,E,F,G,A,B) like example "maj6" or "m7b5" :D

I searched from Google for free online lessons, but I didn't find any.
And I like to play jazz the most.
fumbler
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by fumbler »

Hi,

There are plenty of resources on the internet which can be Googled, for instance http://www.petethomas.co.uk/jazz-chord- ... sions.html (the vast majority in rather technical English).

I think it would be better to use a jazz study book in your native language, have you tried to find one? Written information is better for study than online in this case. Perhaps a local jazz teacher could make a few suggestions?

Good luck.
WinstonChurchill
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by WinstonChurchill »

This site is handy for quick reference to some common chords: http://keychord.com/. You're far better off with a proper theoretical grounding long-term, of course.
honeyfunk
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by honeyfunk »

know your scales... know them inside out... thats the best way, i would even recommend doing this away from the piano so you can visuallize the keys in your head, that way, when you play the chord you will know what it looks like rather than the notes you should be playing...

all music comes from the scales, even modal jazz improvisation, it all starts with c major, start from there, know every interval (c-root, g-fifth, a-sixth) and know what intervals make up the chord.... from there, move to f and g, from there move to bflat and d etc...

good luck