scottish higher/ ab exams

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

laina

Post by laina »

Does anyone know about scottish exams?

Apparently for university entry I need either scottish higher music or associated board piano grade 7.

As I have never taken a music exam before I wondered if anyone had an idea which would be the more easily achievable and what the differences are.

Very grateful for any help :)
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I believe the Higher is equivalent to an A level. If so, you couldn't do an A level in a year easily, whereas Grade VII would be achievable - as long as you have Grade V Theory, because you can't take higher than Grade V without the theory.If you worked hard, you could do the theory and the practical in a year, but you'd have to go some! I'm sure someone with a better knowledge of the Scots system will be along in a minute to put me right!
Feg

Post by Feg »

Scottish Higher differs from A Level in that it has a practical element equivalent to AB Grade 7. It is usually sat in 5th year of secondary education and the course of study covers history, form, harmony and the study and analysis of set pieces etc. If you are needing proof of the standard you have attained purely for university entrance, then I would opt for AB Grade 7 remembering as Gill pointed out that you need a Grade 5 theory pass in order to present for Grade 7.

As a 'graduate' of the Scottish education system, I sat my Higher Music in 5th year and then A level Music (University of London syllabus) in 6th year - more years ago than I'm prepared to admit, mind you :roll: The Higher syllabus has changed a good bit over the years, but there is still a strong practical element which I believe now includes composition.

Hope this helps :D
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

There you go; TOLD you somebody would know! :lol:
laina

sight reading

Post by laina »

Thanks both of you for your help:)

One more question: the part of these exams that worries me the most is the sight reading. At grade 7 what is the level of difficulty in normal terms, ie if it wasn't a piece for sight reading?

(Hope I explained that properly!)
Feg

sight reading

Post by Feg »

We all have different perceptions of levels of difficulty - what I find difficult, you might find easy!

I think you should go to your nearest music shop and buy the AB Grade 7 set pieces for your chosen instrument and see for yourself. Alternatively, look at the AB website - the current syllabus is listed by instrument and grade.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Roughly gradeIII, I would have thought - but not a normal grade III, one of the wacky c list jobs with loads of accidentals and weird time signatures and rests and things. Feg's right - go and treat yourself to a sightreading book, but be strict about not looking at the pieces other than to sightread them. Otherwise you won't feel the benefit, as my mother says about coats... :shock:
laina

Post by laina »

Buying a book seems like the best idea. No better way than to just get on with it!

I don't suppose either of you have any tips on how to work on and improve that area of playing?
Preferably some sort of miracle method, or is that perhaps asking too much? :wink:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Well, there are a couple of series of books available on improving your sightreading; in fact, I think one of them is called just that! Another is 'Progressive Sight Reading'... I'm out of touch with what's around now, and a visit to your friendly local music shop would stand you in good stead. If you have no local shop, Blackwells in Oxford are knowledgeable and helpful over the telephone and will post you stuff. However, there's no substitute for actually going in and having a mooch!
laina

Post by laina »

Thanks Gill!
I'll have a look around for something like the books you mentioned.