Kawai Belaire

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

MikeHendry

Kawai Belaire

Post by MikeHendry »

Good day all.

45 years tuning pianos and today I encountered my very first Belaire 'minipiano'. Not to be confused with any of the variations on a theme made by Eavestaff, Brinsmead, Brasteds or elsewhere in the UK, this Belaire was produced by Kawai.
Among other things the printing on the frame (serial #1873 and "No 200") was done in the black with red highlights typical of the Kawai's of the late Fifties and Sixties.

Incredibly, while in the process of googling some information (zilch) I did however find a colleague of mine here in Melbourne, AUST selling one. I would not proclaim for a minute that I have seen everything ever produced but certainly this one did take me by surprise. A very postwar English piano styled case (dark walnut or brown mahogany), five and 1/3 octaves from A1 to C7, monochord bass strings to G#3, and then bichord treble stringing for the remainder. Much tidier action than the small and cheaper Brit pianos of that era however.

So, this is just a whim really. Anyone heard of them before and have any knowledge of when, why or how they were produced?

Cheers
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kawai Belaire

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I have not come across one of those before did you take any photos?

I don't like tuning mini Pianos these days as I have to kneel down to them. I find if I sit to tune them, I get backache.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
MikeHendry

Post by MikeHendry »

Hi Barrie

A couple of photos attached.
I've also posted a video on Instagram ... it's not massive but possibly not for posting on the forum here. Interested parties can search Hendry Pianos to hear me proclaim it as being British (which clearly it is not!).
Attachments
IMG_5971.JPG
IMG_5972.JPG
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

There was a thing in the '60s for making 4-5 octave Pianos. If I remember right, I think the French started the trend.

It's quite a handy piano for people with less space.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page