What is my Piano??

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

CPiper85

What is my Piano??

Post by CPiper85 »

Hi there,

I was given an upright piano that i hoped to make use of and learn how to play but sadly that has never happened - it now sits in my garage unloved and unused. I'd like to identify it properly but don't know how. It's a Hoffman - i know that much and when i lift the lid there is a number stamped on the right hand side - 10603 is that a serial number?? Can't find anything when i type that in online

Any help would be gratefully received....
Dieter
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: What is my Piano??

Post by Dieter »

Vermutlich ist Ihr Hoffmann von der Berliner Firma Georg Hoffmann. Ein Bild würde Klarheit schaffen.

Your Hoffmann is probably from the Berlin company Georg Hoffmann. A picture would provide clarity.
Bill Kibby

Re: What is my Piano??

Post by Bill Kibby »

Names like Hofman, Hoffman, Hoffmann, Hofmann, Haufmann and Hauptmann can be found on many old pianos, and although some of these may be real makers' names, some are certainly fake. There were over 20 different firms with variations of this name. There were at least 17 different firms with the spelling HOFFMANN, and serial numbers are unlikely to help.
Yes, a photo might help, but many piano names are meaningless.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info