Erard Paris 1929, to London and Liverpool...

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

claremezzo

Erard Paris 1929, to London and Liverpool...

Post by claremezzo »

Hello Venerable Piano Experts. I have inherited an Erard Paris grand piano, serial number 118275 (varnished rosewood, square tapered legs) and have been looking into its history, making use of the extremely helpful "Piano History' site for tips (thank you!). The Paris archives show it 'entered' the workshop (what does this mean? Work began?) on Mar 16 1929 and 'left' it on 30 April, being sold to Erard London. They in turn must have sold it to Van Gruisen in Liverpool, for that name is embossed on it too, before it was presumably bought by someone in my family. Does this all ring true to you? It is going to be moved to Belgium, where I now live, and will be restored there. Forsyths of Manchester say it needs an 'action rebuild' but is very solid, worth the work. They first found another number inside the piano, 6749 (cue a goose-chase for early pianos) - I don't know what that means. Any info or tips on renovation or its history gratefully reveived. My Dad was born 10 years before the piano was made, and played on it until he was over 100. I have pictures but don't seem to be able to upload them successfully - perhaps becasue I'm a new user? Thanks in advance for any pearls of wisdom you can offer!
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Erard Paris 1929, to London and Liverpool...

Post by chrisw »

Well that is a lovely story. Hope the restoration goes well.