Help a novice buy the right piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Onurse

Help a novice buy the right piano

Post by Onurse »

Hi everyone,
Im looking to get my partner a upright for a special birthday. I know nothing about pianos other then the last 8 hours or so Ive spent researching them. He is an expert and loves playing and has all his life so i want to get this right as possible.
From what i gather over strung under damper is the best combination for sound? again here to learn so please correct me. from there i was looking at different makers and ages etc.
this is what Ive narrowed down to at the moment

Broadwood and sons over strung under damper
serial 118033 approx 1915
3/4 stuck hamers
L138cm H120cm D60cm

B Squire Over strung under damper no serial pedal issue she says shes fixed
L150cm H128cm D62cm

Bluthner
Serial 39958 approx 1895
Lcm Hcm Dcm

T G Payne
L150cm H117cm D58cm

I will update more information on them as i get replies from my inquiries, I know the Bluthner is a famous make but if its over dampened how bad is that vs the quality name.
sorry lots of questions thanks in advanced and look forward to talking to you all
HeinK

Re: Help a novice buy the right piano

Post by HeinK »

Onurse wrote: 03 Jul 2023, 19:00I know nothing about pianos other then the last 8 hours or so Ive spent researching them. He is an expert and loves playing and has all his life so i want to get this right as possible.
That is challenging, to say the least. Or likely to fail (hopefully not, of course). But still, the task at hand is huge. Someone who has played the piano all his life will want to play a piano and have a look at the outside and the inside before buying it. I would. I wouldn't like it at all if my wife would buy me a piano just like that. Not a pleasant surprise (for me, that is).

Also, old piano's are not worth a lot and if not well maintained and revised or restored with a lot of care and attention, hundred year old piano's are just pieces of furniture. You can get an old piano of a big brand for fee, no doubt about that.

As to over-damped piano's, don't even consider to buy these, unless you want it as a museum piece. The technique is inferior and your piano tuner will hate you for buying it.

But well, let's presume that you have a big house and your partner has a collection of piano's and wants to add something special from around 1900. And he likes surprises. In that case I would team up with a piano technician and enjoy the selection process. Know that what a seller may call revision is in fact just some dusting and polishing of the pedals.
Onurse

Post by Onurse »

hi thank you for your reply i appreciate its such a massive feild to look at.
ive disscounted the Bluthner as its overdampened so like you said doesnt sound like a good idea.
ive seen the Squire and going to see the Broadwood shortly so i think im now deciding between the two. Im leaning towards the Broadwood being a better and more well known maker would that be true? Im a shipwirght by trade and would prefer to get something well made that i can put time into restoring to a better condition.
thank you agan
HeinK

Post by HeinK »

Onurse wrote: 06 Jul 2023, 17:11Im a shipwirght by trade and would prefer to get something well made that i can put time into restoring to a better condition.
Aha! Everything falls into place. It is a gift for you to begin with! A hobby project that can take a year (or two) and will finally be a birthday gift! That is an excellent idea and will be very much fun.

And indeed, everything can be repaired and restored. Of course there will be a learning curve when it comes to the soundboard, the action and the keys, the hammers, intonation and what else, but in the end it is just like my sister does the cooking (which she does not like, btw); follow the instructions step by step and you'll be allright. I wish I had a workplace around. I would also start such a project.

Having said that, I think that those who take on such projects usually seek out old piano's with even bigger names, like a Grotian, Sauter, Pleyel, Bechstein or - who not - a Steinway. This is because they don't cost much once they are in a deplorable state and if reconditioned or restored with the needed love and care, there is much more value added.

But why not start with a lesser brand? The second project will be so much better anyhow!

BTW. What will you be paying for the piano's? My educated guess is that they are for free or below € 500. I would love to see pictures of the progress of the project!