Kemble - Regulating

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

DHan
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Kemble - Regulating

Post by DHan »

I am new to this forum and enjoyed the postings / replies and have learned plenty. I have a 1976 Kemble upright, think it is a Windsor model. I just have it overhauled in Singapore. However, I still get a "residue sound" when I release the keys around the mid section, and when the dampers just about touching the strings. This becomes very anoying when playing a slow and soft note. What is this problem called? What is causing this and can it be / should it be eliminated by the professional company that did the overhaul on this piano? I get typical answer like -"this happens often on old piano and nothing much can be done" !! Can this not be solved by working on the felt of the damper/s or the dampers? Hope any of you expert tuners out there can help to enlighten me. Thanks....
David de Tekniqy
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Its called damper bleed, it is common on older pianos there are many factors that cause it, the felt could be hard and miss shaped or it could be the damper springs too weak. When they took out the action they may have upset the damper felt so now the felt is not seating correct this is common at the treble bass break as it is one of the longest string but with the shortest damper resetting the heads will stop this

Now if they have changed the felt that singing sound you are getting could be cause the end of the damper is setting down on an antinodes making the harmonic sing they will need to reposition the heads to stop this, we are only taking a mm or so or they have not set the felt correct on the string

One other problem I come across when pianos have been overhauled they refelt the keybed take up the lost motion but don’t take into account that the damper spoons may be picking up to soon

The dampers can be a pain to regulate on some

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
DHan
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Kemble

Post by DHan »

Thanks Barrie for the informative reply to my queries. Are you refering to the felt (usually white in color)that makes the damper heads? I have also read n the forum where there were references made to the "green" felt cloth that cushions the strings, and that if the strings are not pressing enough on this green felt that there will also be cause for some harmonic vibrations. Is my observation correct? For a 30 year-old piano, is it about time that the flet heads of he hammers and the dampers be changed? Look forward to your reply - thanks
David de Tekniqy
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kemble

Post by Barrie Heaton »

DHan wrote:Thanks Barrie for the informative reply to my queries. Are you refering to the felt (usually white in color)that makes the damper heads?
Yes
DHan wrote: I have also read n the forum where there were references made to the "green" felt cloth that cushions the strings, and that if the strings are not pressing enough on this green felt that there will also be cause for some harmonic vibrations. Is my observation correct?
Yes you are correct but that probably refers to grand bearing pads in your case you don’t have bearing pads you have listing felt which will not be a problem for you.
DHan wrote: For a 30 year-old piano, is it about time that the flet heads of he hammers and the dampers be changed? Look forward to your reply - thanks
That is hard to say without looking at the piano. The hammers probably need refacing (taking out the cuts) but if you have had some work done that will have been taken care of well it should have been, as to the damper heads since you say the problem is around the mid section I would say it is a bedding problem but again it is hard to say with out seeing the piano I would give the ones who did the overhaul a ring and point out the problems and see what they say

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
DHan
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Kemble - Regulating

Post by DHan »

Thanks for your advice. I will revert to the local tuner with your information. Hope to have good news to post when the job is done in about a month.
David de Tekniqy