Piano Guarantee

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

OneHandOnly
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Piano Guarantee

Post by OneHandOnly »

Hi All,

Don't know if this is the correct place but i can't post in the Tuner/Trade section.If anyone can shed any light on the matter i'd be grateful. Ok, i bought a brand new Kawai last year and it has a 5 year guarantee,but the guarantee from the dealer stipulates that they have to tune it. I've had one and wasn't impressed with his attitude or work,i'd like to use the same tuner as my teacher who is very well respected and experienced. Surely this can't affect the guarantee , isn't it with Kawai UK rather than with the dealer?

:piano;
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Piano Guarantee

Post by Barrie Heaton »

OneHandOnly wrote:Hi All,

Don't know if this is the correct place but i can't post in the Tuner/Trade section.If anyone can shed any light on the matter i'd be grateful. Ok, i bought a brand new Kawai last year and it has a 5 year guarantee,but the guarantee from the dealer stipulates that they have to tune it. I've had one and wasn't impressed with his attitude or work,i'd like to use the same tuner as my teacher who is very well respected and experienced. Surely this can't affect the guarantee , isn't it with Kawai UK rather than with the dealer?

:piano;
They can use that augment on the 12 months but on the extended warranty by Kawai so long as he/she is a qualified tuner you should be OK look at the T&C However, I do know if the client contacts Yamaha they tell the client to contact the dealer who they got it form even after 4.5 years

The PTA and ABPT both had Classes run by Kawai this year on servicing pianos so I would say that the rule would be the same as the USA see below

Barrie

This is the rule in the USA

Tuning and Service:
All pianos need to be tuned regularly. The amount of time between tunings for a fine instrument depends on many factors, especially the stability of the temperature and humidity and the amount of use the piano receives. In general, Kawai recommends 2 to 4 tunings per year. However, your piano technician can best recommend the appropriate interval for your specific environmental conditions and use.
Pianos also need to be serviced in ways other than simple tuning. The action mechanism and the hammers are subject to wear through use. Periodic voicing and regulation will keep the piano sounding its best throughout the life of the instrument. In general, if the touch or tone of your piano seems uneven, difficult to control, or the notes do not repeat well, you should speak with your technician about the need for regulation and voicing.
If you need a piano technician Kawai America recommends that you start by contacting a Registered Piano Technician (RPT) member of the Piano Technicians Guild. Although some qualified technicians are not members of this organization, those who are RPT members have shown a proficiency in piano tuning and servicing, and have at their disposal continuing education resources which keep their knowledge and skills up-to-date.
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page