CONCENTRATE!

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

abc1337
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Sight Reading.

Post by abc1337 »

PS - other than obviously learning to play new songs, I also use the Paul Harris books on 'improving your sight reading'.

For the price I have found these very useful, as they are structured nicely for my learning style and are easy to follow.

For the price, they are not bad value at all.
Learning, but really enjoying!
abc1337
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by abc1337 »

I did mini-rag - and liked it too. I want back to playing it recently having forgotten the correct notes at the right time and after 10 minutes of sight reading got it back again. i find that the graded pieces live with you forever - you play em that often when practicing?!?

The fuch piece is simply lovely, tho, IMHO, and I play it for anyone wanting to hear the z1 in all its glory....
Celestite
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Celestite »

Nope, dear chap. It just means that you read all the notes as written but rather than having loads of ledger lines because the left hand is playing above middle C, both hands are written in the treble clef, ie what you would normally play in the right hand is still the same but your left hand is just a bit closer to your right hand than it would be if all the written notes were below middle C and in the bass clef. Does that make sense?
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

You're right about the exam pieces staying with you forever, abc...forty years on I can still play me grade 2 pieces! I think exams pieces are the only pieces I really learn properly...
Celestite
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Celestite »

How about just having a go at the left hand on its own to familiarise yourself with the sound of it, especially since the left hand has the tune and is the part you're going to want to bring out in this piece. Make sure you have the correct hand position before you start then try to think in terms of intervals (eg up a 3rd or whatever) aswell as the note names.
abc1337
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by abc1337 »

One of the grade 3 pieces I'm learning is totally with both staves with treble clef, and another is a mixture. its as described above, but interestingly once you actually suss it it helps you read the notes better and where they are as you have to actually think, etc, if you get my meaning.
Celestite
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Celestite »

Believe me, Dave, 8 or 38 makes no difference in the overall scheme of things! After nearly 42 years at this lark, the only difference between you and me is that my finger wiggling problems are more complicated!! You're doing fantastically - don't be impatient!
abc1337
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by abc1337 »

Don't moan at being 38 - I'm 42!
Celestite
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Celestite »

38? 42? Pah! Gentlemen, you are mere babes in this game! My gran started having lessons at 72 because she wanted to be able to play Onward Christian Soldiers and the oldest pupil I have ever taken on was a chap of 78 who wanted to be able to play Dambusters!
(Could explain my mental state :roll: )