check out this piano video

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

Can't get it to work. Still the ad looks impressive. :lol:
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner
mm
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Mozart-Volodos Turkish March Transcription

Post by mm »

Great fun! But I rather think it is way beyond this chap's technical comfort level. I think if he wants to promote himself, he should record something less technically challenging.
Have a listen to Volodos playing it himself on Sony Classical SK 62691. Incredible!
PianoFifty
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by PianoFifty »

Wouldn't like to live next door to this guy!!

I admire his enterprise, and it would be nice to see some more of this kind of thing. He hasn't fully got this piece under control, though, and there are some timing problems near the beginning.

Interesting piece.
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

It didn't work for me either :?
Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

Geminoz wrote:It didn't work for me either :?
Glad I'm not the only one then. :lol:
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner
Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

I take it all back! Its working fine now. I think, once you've downloaded and installed Macromedia Flash 8 and then re-started your computer then it will work. It's a pity the installation didn't suggest that.
Regards
Chris.
PS. Well that's amazing I agree with above comments though I'm glad I'm not his neighbour either. Think the piano needs tuning though. :)
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

Is it worth doing all that then?? :?
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

On my pooter, it plays five seconds' worth and then has a tea break and then plays five more seconds and then has a tea break...even I could play it like that...! :lol:
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

Guess you don't have a a you beaut up to the minute flash either then :wink:
Oh and now I have your attention....what's with the name change?? :?
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Well, when I signed up, I didn't know you could use a soppy name, I thought it had to be your real one or Barrie would come down the tubes of the pooter and tell you off then report you to the piano police. I now know that's not the case (and he's away roasting his bits in Barbados anyway, so can't get me) so i thought I would go for the enigmatic woman-of-mystery type jobby thingy ( 8) ) instead of my boring old name.
See? It makes sense to me, anyway... :?
Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

It really doesn't matter anyway Gill. I know Barrie's quite flexible really - within reason.

"Is it worth doing all that then??" Yes (especially if you have broadband!)- for the experience anyway!! I've since forwarded the link to a couple of friends see what they think.

Regards
Chris
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

Ok I will go get it.
Oh and I don't have broadband yet...I'm still in the dark ages of dial-up, cause broadband here is still quite expensive and they can't give the same package I have now with my ISP unlimited hours and unlimited downloads.
Oh and Gill...did you think Geminoz was my real name??? :wink:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

No, I thought it was a statement; you're a gem and you live in oz...
fumbler
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by fumbler »

...and you're a talking piano called Gill...? :)
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

You got that right Gill....a Gem that's me. :wink:
Now...as far as this chap and his video....I downloaded the flash 8..then I got a title screen which didn't move...just faded to grey..so I clicked the back arrow..and this time the screen was followed very slowly by a piano and an empty stool. :?
After several attempts at the back arrow...a body finally appeared, but had trouble connecting his backside with the stool...just kinda didn't quite make it. :roll:
To cut a very long and arduous story short, every other time I clicked the back arrow I got 2 more seconds of video. The inbetween clicks of the arrow produced another freeze. :x
After about an hour of this...(yes I am the persistant type) I was able to listen to just 28 seconds of his performance. :shock:
Then I gave up in spite of the fact that I enjoy that particular piece of music. :cry:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

God, you're patient...I'd have drop-kicked the pooter as far as I could! That's what happened to me, it kept freezing. So I turned it off, being patient. Had i persisted, you might have seen my lapdog pooter flying past your window downunder... :roll:
Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

I guess it pays to have Broadband to get the full "benefit" of this video then (if you can get it). I tell you what, having had broadband for some time one can almost forget the experiences of dialup.
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I've GOT broadbean...but I have this terrible technallergy... :roll:
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

no....you got it wrong....it doesn't pay to have broadband....you gotta pay them :cry:
Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

Geminoz wrote:no....you got it wrong....it doesn't pay to have broadband....you gotta pay them :cry:
Hmm you got a point there - well - the package I'm on is arount the same price as some dialup services or equal to the amount I could spend extra on my phone bill for accessing the innernet.
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

WE have those packages here too...and they look fine..till you read the small print....I am very wary of download limits...especially with Broadband when everything is so much faster...so you can download heaps more....and if you go over the limit...you better have a big fat cheque book.
I got caught like that when I first got computer...downloaded every freebie in sight...and ended up with a whacking big download bill. :cry:
So I am waiting until a package comes up with unlimited downloads...that hasn't happened here as yet. :roll:
nikolas
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by nikolas »

Slow bandwith...

I had to wait, but only around ten minutes to get the whole video downloaded...

And it wasn't worth it really.

Impresive, true, but I don't enjoy this much technical stuff for no apparent reason. At least when Mozart wrote it there must have been a reason. Here... Well...

Maybe I'm looking it from a composers point of view, dunno.

AS for the chap! Yeah Georges is a fine pianist (and he has rasied thousands of dollars for charity! what about himself? hehe. I'm sorry but I can only be sceptic about these kind of statements, made from the same person.)

But still that piece would take me a year to master properly... Well done to him and his patiense!
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

[quote="Alex Tatlow"]hehe, this is abou what you think about this video, not you internet speed, hehe piano needs to be tuned in it though[/quote]

Well I can't comment about the video until I watch it...and after trying for over an hour I still had only 28 seconds of video, not exactly enough to make comment on. :wink:
georges

georges here!

Post by georges »

Hi there. I'd like to thank you all for posting your comments about my playing. I really appreciate it.

First of all, I apologise to all those who were unable to view my video properly. I've made some changes to the file so that it's shorter and loads more quickly, but I agree that unless you have broadband, it's going to be a frustrating experience.

I have taken your advice on board. This arrangement from Volodos is a show-off piece really. There isn't much room for musical interpretation, but it's still a cleverly constructed work. I learned it extremely quickly (about 10 days) and I was not at my peak when I recorded it.

I will re-record it at some point, but meanwhile I have uploaded another video on my website as a response to the comments made on this forum. It is the beginning of Chopin's C minor Nocturne Op. 48. I hope you will enjoy it (http://www.gsokol.com).

The full version will be available soon as an audio file.

I'd like to thank you again for your suggestions and criticism.

Best
- -
Georges
mm
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Chopin Nocturne

Post by mm »

Hi Georges.

Very nice Nocturne. One of my favourites. I look forward to hearing the whole thing soon.

Keep up the good work.

Martin.
georges

new videos!

Post by georges »

I have some new piano videos for you. The Rachmaninoff C# minor Prelude, the Gb major Schubert impromptu, and some on-the-spot improvisation. They can be viewed at http://www.gsokol.com. Hope you'll have time to tell me what you think...

PS I haven't got round to recording the rest of the Chopin yet, but I will do.