An upright piano hammers are clicking sound.The small felt RED cushion( hammer butt felt ) was lose there How fix it DIY

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

maxim_tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

An upright piano hammers are clicking sound.The small felt RED cushion( hammer butt felt ) was lose there How fix it DIY

Post by maxim_tuner »

The upright piano hammers are clicking sound.The small felt RED cushion(the hammer butt felt ) was lose there. How fix it DIY.
https://youtu.be/jPm9i2WLZdY?si=QbEMtBk21gopXQit
he upright piano hammers are clicking sound.The small felt RED cushion(the hammer butt felt ) was lose there. How fix it DIY.
  • Yes, indeed, under 'the butt of the hammer' there is a small wood protrusion on which a small piece of fabric( the small felt RED cushion ) is glued there. The clicking is in sync with hammer bounce on return. This noise is from the hammer butt/jack impact. It’s either the hammer butt felt or buck skin. I am more than sure that the reason for it's click is there. I clear hear it's so.
    How fix it there:
    1 To free the hammer from 'the upright piano whippen'. (remove 'the hammer bridle' from 'the upright piano whippen' there).
    2 To unscrew 'the butt screw' and to remove the hammer from the upright piano action.
    3 If a piece of fabric is lost or peeled off there, then glue it back on.
    4 If it is good glued, but it is very hard, then try to revive it using a regular toothbrush.
    5 The wippen of 'the bridle wire' upright piano is touching neibouring bridle wire when it returns. The one of bridle wire needs to be adjusted. Need lightly bend side it