Help identifying a upright piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Mita73

Help identifying a upright piano

Post by Mita73 »

Hi everyone
My husband have this second-hand piano bought in 1982. Since we don't use it, we'd like to give it away or sell it, but we don't know how much it's worth and what brand the piano is.
On the front it says SUPERTONE and Ryalls - Birkenhead (I've read in other posts that these are dealers). We checked inside and we found a label that reads Herrburger Brooks Ltd London and a five digit number, maybe a serial number ?
Can you help me identify it or suggest me how to find more information ?

Thank you
Attachments
piano front.jpg
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help identifying a upright piano

Post by Barrie Heaton »

It looks like a stencil piano. Also, it looks like it has ivory keys. If it has, it is a criminal offence to sell a piano with ivory keys without registering it first.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/declare-ivo ... r-hire-out

Trade would ask you for money to take to weigh the piano stool is probably worth more than the piano
Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Help identifying a upright piano

Post by chrisw »

Herrburger Brooks are the people who made the action and maybe the keys also. If you are able to take the upper front panel off the piano and then remove the lowest key, it may have the year of manufacture stamped on the side of the key.

As Barrie says, probably not worth very much money. If you wanted to sell it needs to be in tune and the tuner could estimate the value.