early XX century 185 cm Schiedmayer & Soehne worth restoring?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Amaia

early XX century 185 cm Schiedmayer & Soehne worth restoring?

Post by Amaia »

I write from Spain. I have a 185 Schiedmayer & Soene that needs restoration. As far as I know there are two Schiedmayer companies: Schiedmayer Pianofortefabric (formerly J.P. Schiedmayer) and Schiedmayer & Sohene. I have seen a video in youtube by The PIano Shop in Bath that had fully restored a similar piano to the one I have:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g2hOAU1MHU

I have been doing a thorough research and I see more Schiedmayer Pianofortebabrik pianos restored than Schiedmayer & Soehne. I've been looking at Roberts Pianos and on the web they say they restore SELECTED SCHIEDMAYER PIANOS. All the Schiedmayer pianos they had were Pianofortefabrik. Maybe Schiedmayer Pianofortebabrik are better instruments than the ones from Schiedmayer & Soehne? I'd love to know if anybody in the forum is familiar with both brands and can tell the differences (qualitywise).
I asked for a refurbishing offer to SAP renovation in Poland and I have also checked with a couple of local restorer/tuner/technician and all of them said that complete action, bass restringing and keyboard restoration would be around 5.000 euros and if I want to go further and leave it like new (cabinet, acoustic part) it can go up to 12.000-14.000 euros.
I'll probably do it (whatever I decide) with a local service.
Both locals say I can have a beautiful instrument if refurbished. One has not seen the piano (just pictures and videos I sent him) and the other one came this morning and really liked the sound of ti. He said it remained him of Bluthners mellow tone. It holds tuning and the soundboard is not damaged. Main problems are: low quality hammers, dampers, pedal and bass strings, also it has slack keys and it is imposible to control the action. The piano really has a beautiful tone but sounds like a bag of bones. I think it has potential, but I am afraid to restore it and still not be happy playing it. Doubts: restore it or not, should I spend money fixing the Schiedmayer or could I sold it and for that price acquire a fully restored Bluthner or Bechstein?
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Amaia