DIY Refinishing

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

HeinK

DIY Refinishing

Post by HeinK »

Hello to everybody from the Netherlands. This is my first post on this very nice and informative forum. I hope someone can give me some guidance.

I have bought a 1976 Bechstein 12n and our piano tuner and we all here at home very much like the sound and the quality of this instrument. Very impessive and a joy to play. So we would like to keep it in mint condition. The action might need some additional attention within the coming years, but nothing to worry about. As to the outside, the sun has discolored parts of the casing. This is not really a problem, but why not work a bit on the appearance.
Bechstein2.jpg
Bechstein3.jpg
Bechstein4.jpg
Bechstein1.jpg

My idea is to sand parts and refinish these. I could start with the top panel or the bottom panel, as these are discolored anyhow and easily done, as there are no difficult edges.

My question to you is what product to use to get the perfect 'like new' result. Does anyone has suggestions?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DIY Refinishing

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: DIY Refinishing

Post by chrisw »

The piano veneer looks to be teak. (teak finish was very fashionable in the 1970's ). If so it should be treated with teak oil which will darken it a little followed by a dark wax. Be careful if you start to 'sand' the surface since the veneer could be thin and you might go through it to the timber beneath.

The grain of teak should not be sealed with products such as sanding sealer, french polish or button polish. Provided the piano case is just veneered and not solid teak a polyurethane coat may be ok ( I may have covered over scratches on my own teak furniture with polyurethane varnish in the past). If you do like the idea of polyurethane please do your own research to confirm it is a suitable finish.

The following video illustrates one method of retreating teak veneered furniture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpDg9S8tJeA

Please also see this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPELCXHczTU