Steck Console Piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

remi

Steck Console Piano

Post by remi »

IMG_0443.jpeg
IMG_0442.jpeg
Hi All,

Have just joined up to get your thoughts on the history of a piano we have just purchased, given that I couldn't find anything exactly the same online. Purchased from the original owner, it likely dates from the 1960's. It is console sized (110cm high), and branded as Steck. Obviously manufactured in the UK, and in lovely visual condition. The unusual case shape and size, with our young kids made it a great choice for our home. It seems to have been retailed by 'The Orchestrelle Company in Melbourne', and bears the quaint inscription 'Specially Manufactured for the Australian Climate'. If anyone could share any further info or history based on the photos, I'd appreciate it. We purchased it for a song, and it has just been tuned to 440Hz without dramas.

Thanks

Remi
Attachments
IMG_0451.jpeg
IMG_0449.jpeg
IMG_0448.jpeg
Bill Kibby

Re: Steck Console Piano

Post by Bill Kibby »

Terms like "Console Piano" or "console size" are unknown this side of the ocean. It looks like a fifties-style upright from one of the London houses, and Steck is one of a group of names (including Orchestrelle) that overlap, and seem to indicate the Aeolian factory.
Is there something written underneath "Steck"?
If you lift out the first few keys at the bass end, there may be clues written on or under them.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
remi

Post by remi »

Thanks Bill,

I had never heard the term 'console' piano myself, it is just what came up in searches when I tried to search by height (before she sent the movement photos to me, I was trying to ensure it wasn't a 'spinet').

Although there is nothing underneath 'Steck', she had mentioned that it was made by Kemble. As you can see, the marking says 'KXOS 6', and there is also a serial number...photo attached. (looks like 116732).
Attachments
IMG_5402.jpeg
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Kemble makes sense, but there should be a number receded by K, perhaps imprinted on the soundboard near the left edge at keyboard level.
Could it be a Bentley 1969?
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

My first thoughts were that this is a Kemble and the serial number suggests 1963.
remi

Post by remi »

Thanks- that makes sense. Pretty sure the owner was 63yrs old, and recalled her mother buying it when she was 7yrs old, which would suggest it was purchased new in 1964.

We love it- it's such a lovely object!
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

I have the same model bought new in 1994. Enjoy your piano.