iPod Touch app problems?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

iPod Touch app problems?

Post by Colin Nicholson »

I have a Apple ipod Touch "Personal Organiser" (8GB) - its not a phone (but same size), just used for iTunes, camera/ video, WIFI email/ apps - that sort of thing, and about 2 years ago, I downloaded an app called "Clear Tune" - handy for checking the pitch of pianos (but I dont use it for tuning - just Middle C) .... and I also show customers the scrolling wheel when I hit middle C, so they can see how far out their piano is.

The other day, I hit the 'Clear Tune' icon, and NOTHING! .... it just flashed for a second, then went back to the main screen - I also tried some other apps I downloaded, and they did the same. Just wondered if anyone has one, and if its a common problem. I'll probably download it again, but wondered if there was a quick-fix to remedy it??...... apart from a large LUMP hammer!!

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: iPod Touch app problems?

Post by NewAge »

Colin,
Being a great fan of Apple products, and having downloaded a great number of music related apps on an iTouch and iPad Retina, here are a few suggestions:
If your Clear Tune app is version 2.1.3 it's possible that the Oct update for the latest display, has introduced bugs for previous generation iTouch versions. It appears odd and very unusual however that other apps are affected.
That makes me think you may have a problem with the OS you are using versus recently downloaded apps. If you say your iTouch is 2 years old, sounds like a 4th gen. which initially ran iOS4. What are you currently running? You should now have iOS6, if not update to that, and see if that improves things.
Must confess I haven't tried ClearTune (I note it's a payable app).
Although I would never dare bring a tuning hammer anywhere near my piano, I have for my own use at home tried PitchBot and also InsTuner apps, both of which are freebies. Personally I prefer the latter, as it appears far more precise and gives good results even in the two top octaves - unlike PitchBot. I often agree with the saying, "If it's cheap, it's nasty", although imho this doesn't apply to InsTuner which in addition to Equal Temp. gives 30+ other temperaments. Worth a try at that 'price' but obviously don't expect it to perform like CyberTuner or TuneLab......
Good luck.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

Colin, one thing I forgot. If you do plan to download ClearTune again, if you can, delete the app from your computer iTunes apps listing, and not directly from the screen of your iTouch - which is by far the most convenient method but can leave behind bits of code that has been shown to cause disruptions.
I always make a point of deleting any apps from the computer first, followed by a sync of the iTouch or iPad.

The other thought I just had. When you had your problem, were there other apps running in the background unknown to you? I had a problem one day to get my iPad to run SunrizerSynth app connected to a remote keyboard via midi. Strange because it had previously worked ok. After a bit of advise from the internet, I checked to see if I had any other programs running in the background - there were at least ten! Clearing all these fixed my problem. Double clicking on the home button gives access to other recently run apps, which should be cleared periodically by press/holding until 'clear' icon appears.
Apologies if I've bored you unnecessarily.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Have you tried a hard reboot

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Have you tried a tuning fork...? Completely off thread. but a piano teacher told me the other day that she broached a child's lack of progress with its parents. "Has she got access to an instrument? Does she practise?"
"O yes, we bought her the app for her iPad..."
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Thanks for all your help guys...... quick update (well, took me THREE hours to sort it ish).... but still a snag (see bottom)

I've reformatted the whole thing & wiped the slate clean - and now have the Version 6 (I think)! ...... its erased ALL my previous apps, but added on the home page a few new features inc. "Passbook" "Newsstand" - basically an empty book shelf! .... and during installation, it installed iCloud . Then I looked up your suggested "InsTuner" NewAge, I think I managed to download it - well, it says on the PC it has been done & went through the rigmarole.... but I can't find it on my Ipod??
Scrolled to page 2, which has a new "messages" icon (speech bubble with a green background), a Contacts icon.... and another empty book shelf for iBooks.... HECK!

I also had to invent new pass words & ID etc coz I rarely update it.
On one of the iTunes or App Store pages (on my PC), there are 2 icons for the InsTuner, so I may have installed it twice, clicked on it, did the "Barber's spiral" at the top of the screen, synced etc.... but again, cant find the app?
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Sussed it! .... shows how long I've done this, I searched for InsTuner on the App Store on my iPod, and it came up - 2 secs to download! cheers
AA Piano Tuners UK

NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

Will be interesting to know how you rate that application.
Now you can beat-up Gill with your tuning fork...... :wink:
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

Gill the Piano wrote:Have you tried a tuning fork...? Completely off thread. but a piano teacher told me the other day that she broached a child's lack of progress with its parents. "Has she got access to an instrument? Does she practise?"
"O yes, we bought her the app for her iPad..."
I appreciate the humour/irony here, but do some piano teachers actually take piano students without any instrument, DP or keyboard at home?
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

I sometimes use a tuning fork for my STEAK!
I am very surprised by the amount of "families" that ring me up for piano lessons, and DONT have a piano! Its quite common. I've been teaching this Chinese boy for nearly 3 years now - he''s only 10, and has reached Grade 3 theory and Grade 4 piano (comfortably!!) .... and a few weeks ago, I was suddenly introduced to some friends of his, and their son & daughter wanted to start lessons. I didnt even ask if they had a piano, because of this Chinese boy's success - but I found out last week they DONT have a piano!! .. well, I could tell when they started "Chopsticks" 4 notes lower.

That app seems pretty good - ok, much of it is "science" - but yeh, it actually detects every note on a piano!

Nice one
AA Piano Tuners UK

Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

It was at a private school. 'Nuff said, i think...
My friend has just been asked to visit a child's home to teach it the piano. They haven't actually GOT a piano; they want to see if he likes learning first. She's not quite sure how they think she CAN teach him with no piano...
I play for my own amazement... :piano;