Delivery problems

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Damnpiano

Delivery problems

Post by Damnpiano »

Hey pianists,

I have a baby grand which won't fit up the stairs to the new apartment, owner won't give give authorization to get it craned in because they are worried about liability, even though all parties involved have public liability insurance, all costs are covered, and a downpayment has been made in case of damage.

What are my options?

Can I force them to give consent?

Can I terminate the lease on grounds that the apartment is not suitable to live in?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Baby Damn Piano
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Delivery problems

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Difficult situation there. Are you in the UK or possibly abroad?

If nothing can be resolved, and you have no where else to live - you might have to speak to a solicitor/ lawyer - but may cause friction, especially if its a new tenancy.
I can see from the landlord's point of view there may be damage to the property.

I think it is the piano owners responsibility to check first with the removal team prior to removal - using a cardboard template to see if the piano fits first.
I dont really know how the law stands here - you might have to live somewhere else if the piano cant be delivered - a ground floor apartment?

Sorry.... dont know an answer really.

Good luck
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Damnpiano wrote:Hey pianists,
Can I force them to give consent?

You may be able to do so, but would that be a good move. One complaint from one of the other tenants and the landlord could have you and your piano evicted on the grounds on noise nuisance

If you are tied up in a lease agreement then you may have to seek advice

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Obviously if you owned the house and had a mortgage - no problem, do what you like.... but if dealing with a landlord, you may need to tread carefully. I dont know if anything substancial has been spend on your apartment/ new windows, furnishings etc.... but if I was the landlord, I wouldnt want the windows ripping out, then put back in!!

Let's say you are given permission, move it in with a crane - damage repaired.... then say in a few years (or months) you decide to move out, or are served notice (maybe landlord wants to sell the building?) .... whatever - you cant say it would never happen; I thought that, and it happened to me!! So you decide to up-root & off, leaving the grand in the apartment - too much hassle to move.... so then the landlord has to arrange at his own expense to have the piano moved/ chopped up - whatever.... and this will take time & money.

I dont know your personal circumstances, how long you have known the landlord for.... have you rented from him before? .... so there is not just that part, you will need to generate a good relationship.

I think the next move would either be to look elsewhere, or for the time being have a digital piano?

Unfortunately I dont think this forum is designed to be an Agony Aunt, nor will you receive any sympathy - far from it. If you intend to go "guns blazing" without thinking it through first, get a template & simulate a grand removal (thats how we a Grand once). I think the landlord is well within his rights to refuse access to ANY musical instrument making a noise - let alone dealing with a grand piano craned through the windows.

Hope that helps....
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by David B »

I'm afraid that unless your lease specifically made reference to your having a baby grand in the appartment, the landlord is entirely at liberty to refuse you.

Again, unless you had specific provision in your lease to have the piano there (so that you can show that in not having it the terms of your lease are breeched), in then you are, basically, stuffed.

If you're lucky your landlord might agree to release you early from your lease (most will providing that they can re-let), but is under no obligation to do so.

It might seem obvious with hindsight, but you should have checked that a) the concept of a piano and b) the physical delivery of the same, was possible before you signed on the proverbial dotted line.

Sorry :(