Supplier apathy

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Johnkie
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Supplier apathy

Post by Johnkie »

I was thinking where exactly I should place this post - On the closed "Tuner/Technician" or "Advice" section.

I'm becoming aware more and more of how some suppliers have no idea about the tuners that they either recommend or send out to tune their newly supplied pianos. Surely every firm should want their customers to get the best possible service, thereby enhancing their reputation. All too often now I get calls from customers, who having bought a new piano, and having had their free tuning, phone me, very upset at how bad their newly tuned piano sounds.

Only this morning, I've had yet another phone call ..... It turns out that the free tuning was done by someone in this area who while being a very nice guy .... is a dreadful tuner. His reputation is all too well known, as someone who leaves a trail of distraught customers, and yet continues to be sent out to tune on the suppliers behalf.

I fail to see the merit in any supplier (not having their own good tuning staff), merely dipping into their collection of tuner's business cards without bothering to check if he or she can actually tune. It can't be purely the money .... I know for a fact that some of these dreadful tuners charge more than the good ones. Perhaps it all boils down to the fact that the tuning is free (to the customer), and that the customer is more likely to accept any "free" services without complaint, except in the case where a customer really knows the difference between a good or bad tuning.

I can't understand why this happens so frequently, but on the other hand, find it so rewarding to then re-tune the customers piano and see the utter relief on their faces when they realise that there was nothing wrong with the piano ... but everythning wrong with the crap tuner that the supplier sent.

The moral of this post being on the open part of the forum then, is ....

1. Suppliers ..... send only good tuners to undertake your "Free tunings" if you care about reputations.

2. Buyers .... beware that "Free tunings" often are a complete waste of time .... if you have already have a good tuner, insist that they are the ones to do the "Free tunings" :idea: :?
Concert Tuner & Technician for 45+ years - North East UK
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Supplier apathy

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Well a lot is to blame on the discounting culture of the past, the margins are so poor they they can't afford to pay - but also then it is down to the tuner some effort in to the setting up of the piano, they should work with the client as they may keep that client for some time. Work ethics play a lot in this and you can test for that

When we did the piano tuner survey quite a lot when ask did they feel that there were any skill sets needed updating a lot said no. Yet, the retailers had a different opinion Main moan was diagnostic skills were crap.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

A lot of the ones ive had dealings with almost regard delivery of the piano as the point at which they have had their profit and wash their hands of it. 1 in 3 I tune from big to small shops deliverys still have the polystyrene packing in the action and bottom doors on new pianos. 1 in 2 need regulation and properly setting up. However most customers view seems to be they had the trousers off the dealer so what can they expect. For my part if im paid to tune , tune is what I do. Customer gets told whats needed and the rest is up to them to sort out. Im quite happy to sort it out but need to know whos paying and when!!
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

When I worked for a piano shop a few years ago, there were 4 tuners, including me. I never said anything at the time, but occasionally - the main "bug bear" was other tuners going out to tune brand new pianos.... and even some couldnt cope with brand new pianos having very tight pins - one even admitted to me that he tried to tune it as best he could - but extremely tight pins - the setting of the pin was poor & tunings were rough. We never 'grassed' him up - he was mainly used to tuning older pianos, with more slack/ give in the pins. Alot of new pianos come out of the warehouse - maybe cold in there? and I had to practise like mad to get them spot on.
Also.... wages were not very good! I soon left there!

I think that if someone is not directly in contact with a shop - mainly freelance, they are not passionate about the shop, the owner, and just chuck out a rough tuning .... seen it happen. However, if you are employed by them - it makes a difference
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen