Kemble Oxford

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Richard Wilkinson

Kemble Oxford

Post by Richard Wilkinson »

I am about to buy my first piano (i'm about grade 7 but never owned a piano before) and a considering an ex-rental Kemble Oxford for about ?2700. My only concern is that if you play the notes very gently you often hear that they repeat (the note sounds again after you initially played the key).

I've noticed this before on new pianos and was wondering if it is a sign of a poor piano. Is this necessarily true

Also, there is dealer in Scotland (Peter Smith) who can sell me a new Kemble cheaper than that, though I wouldn't be able to try it before I bought it as I live in Cambridge. IS this such a bad idea?

Thanks Rich
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kemble Oxford

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Richard Wilkinson wrote:I am about to buy my first piano (i'm about grade 7 but never owned a piano before) and a considering an ex-rental Kemble Oxford for about ?2700. My only concern is that if you play the notes very gently you often hear that they repeat (the note sounds again after you initially played the key).

I've noticed this before on new pianos and was wondering if it is a sign of a poor piano. Is this necessarily true
Regulating problem probably lost motion (the key goes down a touch before the hammer moves )Just the felts compressing it is common on ex-rental pianos. Same goes for the new ones Friday piano

Richard Wilkinson wrote: Also, there is dealer in Scotland (Peter Smith) who can sell me a new Kemble cheaper than that, though I wouldn't be able to try it before I bought it as I live in Cambridge. IS this such a bad idea?

Thanks Rich
Buying form the box can save you shed fulls of money and is great for first time buyers who are buying for the kids to learn on, but grade 7 player………. Unless you love each one you have played of that make, you are taking a risk, you may not like what you get in touch and tone

Barrie,
Last edited by Barrie Heaton on 15 Apr 2004, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Richard Wilkinson

Post by Richard Wilkinson »

Thanks for that. What did you mean by a Friday piano?

Rich
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Richard Wilkinson wrote:Thanks for that. What did you mean by a Friday piano?

Rich
Have you never come across that term before!! Friday Car, piano or what ever is made, last day of the week the Guy needs to get home, sod it that will do, near a nuff

BTW lost motion is very quickly put right

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
omeprazole

Post by omeprazole »

I have just bought a second-hand Kemble Oxford upright piano (hardly played) made in 2002 I believe. This was to replace a very old John Ellis piano which I loved playing. This Kemble has a very dry, (dead) sound unless I use the sustaining pedal compared with my old John Ellis. Also one or two notes do seem to sound twice as I play them. Can any of this be rectified by a tuner? I am feeling as if I have made a mistake in "upgrading".
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

Richard Wilkinson wrote:I am about to buy my first piano (i'm about grade 7 but never owned a piano before) and a considering an ex-rental Kemble Oxford for about ?2700. My only concern is that if you play the notes very gently you often hear that they repeat (the note sounds again after you initially played the key).

Also, there is dealer in Scotland (Peter Smith) who can sell me a new Kemble cheaper than that, though I wouldn't be able to try it before I bought it as I live in Cambridge. IS this such a bad idea?

Thanks Rich
When you say you can get a new Kemble for less than 2700, indeed you can, but surely not the Oxford model. You may get something like a Kemble Studio for that price which is fine for a beginner, albeit very small at approx 110cms. Even the Oxford is a fairly small upright and for an adult at grade 7 and improving, a piano of 115cms (if my memory is correct) is somewhat of a compromise so don't expect a deep singing tenor/bass or long sustain.
This perceived lack of sustain commented by 'Omeprazole' on a used Kemble Oxford could well be due to the previous John Ellis piano being a larger upright of 122 even 132 on which one would naturally expect a rich, pleasant tone, especially in the bass.

I agree with Bill if you have decided on an Oxford (or another), try to play several - they all differ which would especially be recognised/appreciated by a Grade 7 player.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

NewAge wrote:

Thanks Rich
When you say you can get a new Kemble for less than 2700, indeed you can, but surely not the Oxford model. You may get something like a Kemble Studio for that price which is fine for a beginner, albeit very small at approx 110cms. Even the Oxford is a fairly small upright and for an adult at grade 7 and improving, a piano of 115cms (if my memory is correct) is somewhat of a compromise so don't expect a deep singing tenor/bass or long sustain.
This perceived lack of sustain commented by 'Omeprazole' on a used Kemble Oxford could well be due to the previous John Ellis piano being a larger upright of 122 even 132 on which one would naturally expect a rich, pleasant tone, especially in the bass.

I agree with Bill if you have decided on an Oxford (or another), try to play several - they all differ which would especially be recognised/appreciated by a Grade 7 player.
The original post was 2004 with the £2700 price. The studio hasnt been made for ages, the nearest is the cambridge 12 wich is the same inside as an oxford.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Keen eyes there MDW ;)
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

omeprazole wrote:I have just bought a second-hand Kemble Oxford upright piano (hardly played) made in 2002 I believe. This was to replace a very old John Ellis piano which I loved playing. This Kemble has a very dry, (dead) sound unless I use the sustaining pedal compared with my old John Ellis. Also one or two notes do seem to sound twice as I play them. Can any of this be rectified by a tuner? I am feeling as if I have made a mistake in "upgrading".
The 'dry' sound could be the general quality & tone of the hammer felt, combined with strings, or hammer alignment could be poor - some only striking 1 or 2 strings, or damper spoon lift needs adjustment. Sometimes if fitted with a middle pedal, the celeste cloth can catch on the hammers & may need adjusting. The 'bubbling' (bouncing) of hammers are easily sorted by a piano tuner - either lost motion/ depth of touch too shallow/ back check in wrong position - or a combination of each.... this comes under the term "regulation" - which is the adjustment of the mechanism; separate to tuning, but that's a tuner's job aswell.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
vernon

Post by vernon »

If the keys "bobble" it's a question of regulation that the tuner may not neccessarily be able to do unless he is a technician.As Colin Nicholson observes.
You cannot adjust the odd note for the operation is done as one.- the set- off must be right, the depth of touch must be right and the checks must be right.The slap rail must be free and the spoons must be free.
Then it will work fine, providing it was originally built and regulated properly by the regulator if is not an aforementioned Friday pian that is.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Johnkie
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Johnkie »

omeprazole wrote:I have just bought a second-hand Kemble Oxford upright piano (hardly played) made in 2002 I believe. This was to replace a very old John Ellis piano which I loved playing. This Kemble has a very dry, (dead) sound unless I use the sustaining pedal compared with my old John Ellis. Also one or two notes do seem to sound twice as I play them. Can any of this be rectified by a tuner? I am feeling as if I have made a mistake in "upgrading".
I wouldn't worry too much about the technical side of things that are being indentified Omeprazole ... the short answer is .... yes .... any decent tuner/technician should had no difficulty in sorting out the regulation problems. Just make sure you find someone who knows how to regulate properly. There are many good tuners who can do an excellent tuning job, but not so hot when it comes to precise regulation. You failed to mention what kind of piano the John Ellis was .... overdamped or underdamped ? If you were familiar with an overdamped instrument, then the likelyhood is that the damping on the Kemble is far better and it might just be a question of getting used to "propper damping". On the other hand, if regulation is needed to compensate for the 9 years of use .... leave well alone, and get a good technician to spend a few hours tweeking it to restore it back to it's former glory.

From the look of the name you're using "Omeprazole", I am led to assume that you may already be suffering from either Heartburn, Acid indigestion, or an Ulcer .... so don't give yourself any further worries thinking the worst ... look on the bright side ... it shouldn't be too difficult to get things sorted out. :)
Concert Tuner & Technician for 45+ years - North East UK
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Also, there is dealer in Scotland (Peter Smith) who can sell me a new Kemble cheaper than that, though I wouldn't be able to try it before I bought it as I live in Cambridge. IS this such a bad idea? Good price for the Kemble it has been in their showroom for 4 years hence the price as they are no longer Kemble dealers would jump at it at that price,it not out a box it has been tuned many times over the years and will be fully regulated with full warranty.

Thanks Rich
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Would buy piano at that price,has been in their showroom for about 4 years as they are no longer Kemble dealers,instrument will be tuned,regulated before delivery and will have a full warranty,they are not BOX Dealers unlike others and have been around roughly 40 years.