Replacement Let-off (Set-off) rails

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

northerncharm

Replacement Let-off (Set-off) rails

Post by northerncharm »

Currently undertaking a restoration project on a 1923 player piano. The action is a Herrburger Brookes 88 note. The let-off rails have several sheared off (head and tails) screws that I can't remove, The rail is about 10mm square cross section and probably hornbeam wood. Does anyone know where I might get replacement ones, salvage or piano scrapyards?

Any advice would be great.
Johnkie
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Replacement Let-off (Set-off) rails

Post by Johnkie »

Either Fletcher & Newman or Heckschers ( easy to find on the www ) - As far as replacing them however :-

Remove the set off (let off) button with its felt pad by gentle anti clockwise un-screwing, either using your fingers or with the aid of pliers - this should leave you with the metal thread showing. Then apply heat to the thread being very careful not to burn the wood of the set off rail. Either apply the heat with a very fine gas burner or electric soldering iron. Don't rush this, make sure that you heat the broken set off screw enough so that the heat travels through the wood to the point where the metal has snapped off. If you have heated it enough you should then be able to use a pair of long nosed pliers to grip the set off screw and gently un-screw it.

The secret of moving tight set off screws is to gently turn it back and forth in tiny amounts until you feel it freeing up - anything more than tiny movements and it will snap .... but ther again you have most likely already learnt that !!

Hope this helps
Concert Tuner & Technician for 45+ years - North East UK
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

I use the gas burner method - much quicker. You maybe be able to get one in B&Q - and they just use lighter fuel. If you scorch the wood, and it turns black near the screw thread holes - good tip - remove them all (even the good ones) and just flip the rail upside down so the scorched bits are underneath. Best to heat them from where the eyes have snapped off. Depends also on the screw locations to put it back onto the action rail - so you might need to drill some small holes, but in most cases, the holes are drilled all the way through. As Johnkie says, just "wiggle" them a tiny amount back & forth (preferably with a rigid set-off tool), and you'll hear a creak! If you use the 'flexi' tool, it sometimes sways and cause them to break. I have a small stubby one just for that job!

If they are a special design (coz some are much longer threads), then my mate makes them for me.

Sometimes even with new set-off screws, the threads can be slightly larger in diameter, so you have to 'feather' the pre-drilled hole with a small drill bit. I wouldn't bother robbing from an old piano - they'll probably be in a worse state, and new ones will enable you to adjust the screws smoothly without problems later on....
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Johnkie
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Johnkie »

You'll end up burning the wood badly if you try heating from the snapped off end and have to turn the whole lot over to cover the burn marks. Heat the threaded part from underneath until the heat travels through the set off screw to the snapped off end, and any scorching that might happen will not then show. But if they're all tight ( and have the complete rail off) I would heat them at the "Eye" end before trying to turn them anyway.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I soldering iron puts the heat just where you need it then use the small turn back a forward method for the ones that will not come out. I use a stand drill and drill out the pins, replug, drill and add new set off screws

As to replacement, it has to be made to patten give these guys a call they are ex Herrburger Brookes staff but it wont be cheep

Barrie,

Pianoforte Marwood Ltd
94, Bondgate
Castle Donington
Derbyshire
DE74 2NR
Tel 1332 812080
Mob 07751 634260
Web: www.pianofortemarwood.co.uk/
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Johnkie.... yeh ye right! it was late (but not as late as your reply!!) - yeh the snapped bit is usually flush with the wooden rail, and its been a while since I did a full rail. Do apologise for saying you heat the snapped end - I'm just a mad inferno tech. guy!

I thought set-off screws were reasonably priced?
AA Piano Tuners UK

Johnkie
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Johnkie »

No problemo Colin - Like you ... sleep comes way down on my agenda :wink: I agree with your comment about being mad too !!! But in the nicest possible way .... not like some.

I fear that the original poster on this subject my have tried to remove the remaining threaded piece of the set off screw without heating it first ..... nightmare having to drill it out - plug - and then re-drill.

Early night for you m'lad !! :D
Bob Pierce
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Bob Pierce »

Send the old rails to Renner and they will produce a replacement set to pattern.
northerncharm

Post by northerncharm »

Many thanks for all the suggestions. My creme brulee torch seemed to do the trick, I'll try the soldering iron and see what's least destuctive on the wood. I might have a working action by next week. Thanks again.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJzG7CSY ... re=related

if all fails, just click on the above !!
(Only joking though)

.... true meaning of Chopsticks !

I also fear that you may have to drill the threads out, if so, when you eventually plug the hole, a good idea to also drill a 5 - 6mm hole through the side of the rail (at a 90 degree angle to the hole), then plug n glue it with some dowel (or hammer shank) so the new set off screw thread will 'thread' better - rather than re-drilling on the end-grain.

Just out of interest, are you restoring the player unit aswell (stack, pneumatics, bellows) etc...? or is that still working OK.
AA Piano Tuners UK