Second-hand Yamaha Pianos

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

hpsauce

Post by hpsauce »

I see that The Piano Man has been recommended on previous postings for new Yamahas. What do you think about buying a used U1 from him? &2,450 for a 1989 U1X. Price seems good, but he's only offering a 2 year guarantee on mechanical parts, not the 5 years that I would have liked. Is this anything to worry about?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Quite a few dealers only offer a 12 month guarantee you could ask him if he will up it to 5 do remember Yamaha only give a 5 year on new ones
However, there are some retails who do give 5 years on second-hand pianos.

http://www.uk-piano.org/pianos-for-sale ... siteid=640

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
hpsauce

Post by hpsauce »

Thanks for quick reply. You are a saviour to all of us floundering in the piano darkness out here!

When I contacted Yamaha direct, they suggested I go to Little & Lampert for a used Yamaha. Little & Lampert say that they give a 5 year guarantee, and that they completely strip down all of their used pianos and check them for any wear etc, and that all worn parts are replaced. Does this make their pianos a safer buy? Am I worrying too much? Anybody got any feedback on this dealer?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

They are 2 very nice lads and well respected within the trade and you can’t get a better endorsement than Yamaha. However, I am surprised! Yamaha don’t normally push second-hand pianos in particular imported ones on the contrary they frown on them normally.

Let me give you some background in the second-hand Yamaha trade. Most are imported form Japan and are graded A to Z A being the best Z the worst some dealers only buy “A” they need no work done on them, other than tuning. Some dealers buy lower down and do the work needed (some dealers are more diligent than others on doing the work needed ) some of the lower graded pianos are down graded because of there poor case and little other problems, so some dealers buy them and re polish them. There are now many companies in Japan selling second-hand pianos some of these companies do any repairs before they are graded to get a better price.

Second-hand Yamaha have been coming into the UK in large numbers since the 80s Hunts Pianos was one of the first to do it I have been tuning them since they started coming into the UK for different retailers. to-date I have had only a few with big problems and in most cases it was self inflicted e.g. placing the piano in a South facing conservatory, there has been the minor problems sticking notes ect.

The dealers who are selling over the net to the 4 corners of the UK can’t afford to send out pianos with problems because of discounting the profit will be wiped out by a visiting tuner the other side of the country most problems will show up in the first 6 months if there is to be any, unless you do something stupid like stick the piano in the garden shed over winter wile you have the extension built.

Barrie,
BTW
I have changed the subject for better search results for visitors
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page