Yamaha P121 or U1

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

gav101

Yamaha P121 or U1

Post by gav101 »

I am aware of the minor external differences between the Yamaha P121 and U1 but can someone tell me if there are any differences internally between these two models and will there be any difference in sound quality?

many thanks Gavin
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The P121 is aimed at European preferences for a softer tone and softer lines on the case and is in the midrange the Yamaha V124NT is closer to the U1 and the U1 is the entrance level the professional range

See
http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-forums/vi ... .php?t=327

for why we there is different sizes of pianos

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
charles hallows

Post by charles hallows »

I have seen many U1, V124's and P121's, and i'm sorry but i really don't agree barry. The keyboard is stamped U1 on all models, the backposts are the same, so it the soundboard and the frame too. The only difference i have seen is the style of the case, but the piano itself is uniform. The black U1's are 100% japanese, but the wood u1's are called u1n's as they're made at kembles, in the uk, with the v124 and p121's (in all finishes).

The black u1's have so much plastic on the case. The top door sill is hollow plastic, the side strips 'pillasters' are plastic, the feet are plastic and so are the legs (i've put school castors on, so i know). The kemble made u1n's, p121's and v124's have no plastic case parts and more solid wood, which is what i want to see!

There's allot of this 'european tone' that is used to sell certain models, but from what i've seen the v124 has bevelled rims on the cabinet to look more ornate, the p121 has rounded edges, like most 1930's uprights, and the u1 today looks more contemprary. If they're all made in the same factory, in the uk (excl. a black u1), and i really cant find any component or internal design differences, surely they are all as 'european' as eachother?
Piano Enthusiast, Player, Tuner and Technician.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Hi Charles

U1s are not made in the UK if they are now then that is new. The bass strings used on all backs on the UK made pianos don't come from Japan they come from the USA There is not as much dope used on the hammers for the UK models that was the case 2 years ago when I was last at Kembles and of course slight differences in the case Small changes but they do make deference

regards

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page