Dyson & Sons Piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

walsh95661

Dyson & Sons Piano

Post by walsh95661 »

I recently bought a piano and have decided to start rebuilding them as a hobby. I have read three or four books, bought some tools and parts and been working on this piano. It is a small upright and is I believe called a an "English Cottage Piano" (75 keys).

It is over damped but the cabinet is quite nice and I have been replacing the damper felts and regulating the dampers so that they woek quite well. THe pins seem tight so I want to get the piano where it will play.
Mainly I am writing to get some information on the age and manf. of this piano.
On the drop board it says" Dyson & Sons London Full Trichord Metal Frame Check Action".

On the pinblock is the # 16343 and on right vertical
side of the cabinet, stamped in the wood is Dyson & Son Croyden 102. There is no name or number on the frame which is painted black. The keys seem to be plastic which means, I imagine, that they have been replaced. The front of the cabinet has the standard three pannels which seem common in this type of piano and have screw marks where the sconces must have been attached. Also under th Serial # is the # 69.

Ay info. is greatly appriciated.

Thanks, BW
Robert J. Walsh
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The piano will have an aliases name

Did you use end grain felt on the dampers normal damper felt will only compact and cause problems in the future

Regulating; most of these old verts were set to a blow of 50mm, set off at 5mm and depth of touch 10mm, checking is around 17mm they tend to work very well if you set them to 47mm blow, 3mm set off, 15mm for checking, Key height 65 mm from lock rail, depth of touch 10mm, sharps 12mm above naturals, damper lift it should pick up one third of the key dip However, on quite a few of the older ones the wires are quite brittle so you will need to heat them up before turning, same with the set off buttons. The jack slap rail should have 3mm play when the notes are in check

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
walsh95661

Dyson & Son Piano

Post by walsh95661 »

Thanks Barrie,

I appriciate your feed back.

This is my first piano (my baby) so I will continue to work on the damper felts.

Thanks again,

BW
Robert J. Walsh