Hammer misalignment. Easy to rectify?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Hammer misalignment. Easy to rectify?

Post by NewAge »

Quite recently after closing the fall-board on my upright piano, I opened the top lid to check the reading on the fitted hygrometer, when I happened to notice that a number of the hammers had slightly moved off the rest-rail.
It soon became obvious that each time I stowed the narrow music rack and closed the fall-board, the music rack - not being very tight on it's three hinges - was partially deploying. This was depressing quite a number of the black keys, which then remained positioned slightly off the rest rail.

Photo 1. Shows my initial observation - with the fall-board closed. Several hammers - especially fifth from left that had moved away from the rest-rail.

It took me no time at all to devise a permanent, quick fix for the music rack. It’s now stiffer to deploy by hand, and no longer falls on it’s own when closing the fall-board.

As the piano is just over one year from new, it's not only time for a tune but I also want to request a few additional tasks from the technician.
I need to discuss with him/her – unfortunately not in English - so I'd like to understand what's happened here (from the photos that follow) i.e. what action/adjustment you feel needs to be taken to rectify the condition. Long rectification task or no?

Photo 2. Shows the current situation, music rack no longer in contact with keys when fall-board closed. Note the unevenness of the hammer alignment of the top two octaves. (Doesn't appear so obvious on central or bass group of hammers - not shown).
Would this solely be due to the music rack/key contact, or is this a routine feature expected during a piano settling-in period?

Photo 3. On this picture also note the unevenness of some components.
Normal settling-in feature?

The above is the only minor hiccup I've observed, and apart from this I'm delighted with how the piano still sounds and performs.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hammer misalignment. Easy to rectify?

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Keys being pressed down by the music desk is quite common and not much of a problem to the hammers more of a problem to the keys getting marked over time.

As to the check being forward on its own that is out of place on a newish piano, may have been pushed forward by bad packing. Get the tuner to look at it when they next tune the piano

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
chrisvenables
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisvenables »

The wood and felt components can move quite a bit as the piano settles in and aclimatizes. Usually in summer, the wood and felt can swell as they absorb additional moisture, one consequence is the hammer creep etc. The loose music tray had nothing to do with the hammers becoming out of alignment. Hard to tell from a photo lense but the dampers don't look exactly square on either.

Don't let the tuner do a 'quick fix' and only adjust the capstans and realign the hammers - you really need to have him check and if necessary adjust the entire action and keyboard to include the following, but not necessarily in this order as some manufacturers have different orders of procedure:

check all screws for tightness
align hammers, jacks,
check key bushes
check key height, level keys and space
set off
key depth
hammer distance from string
back - check alignment and checking off
damper alignment and regulate.

How long it will take depends on whether the above items need checking or adjusting and on how many notes. It may take him an hour or maybe 3. Having read some of your previous posts, I think you're already aware of humidity factors. It's worth trying to keep the levels as constant as possible - check what Sauter suggest for your piano- I think around 50% would be a good figure.

Regards.
Yamaha Piano Main Dealer since 1981. www.chrisvenables.co.uk
vernon

Post by vernon »

Get him to check also that the nameboard felt( the red felt that dresses the back of the keys) is not turned over when the fall was replaced. Also check that no foreign objects( bits of fluff(lovely), hairgrips or other extraneous ojects havent infiltrated themselves under the felt. These are all so basic that an experienced tech would check anyway
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
vernon

Post by vernon »

I am sure he has the phenomenon known in the trade as a berlesconi

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

Many thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated.

Barrie,
One statement here that I couldn't grasp. You state,
"As to the check being forward on its own that is out of place on a newish piano......."
Could you please clarify.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

vernon wrote:I am sure he has the phenomenon known in the trade as a berlesconi
Vernon,
I may regret it, but ok - I'll rise to the bait. :) What's a berlesconi in the trade?

Most of us well recall that Berlusconi is known as a joker. Heaven forbid that I've been relegated to that rank of poster. :twisted: - (Always wanted to use that smilie)!
I'd like to think that you may be referring to Berlusconi's love for women, confusing that of mine for pianos.
Which reminds me, wasn't it Benny Hill that said, "Women are like pianos. When they're not upright, they're grand!"
Cheers
vernon

Post by vernon »

a foreign body in the bed :D

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

NewAge wrote:Many thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated.

Barrie,
One statement here that I couldn't grasp. You state,
"As to the check being forward on its own that is out of place on a newish piano......."
Could you please clarify.
on your 3rd photo the check is quite forward wile they are seldom in a perfect strength line, that is a few mm forward That will make the checking much closer to the string than other notes, unless the depth of touch is wrong. As I said get the tuner to llook at it on the next visit

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

on your 3rd photo the check is quite forward wile they are seldom in a perfect strength line, that is a few mm forward That will make the checking much closer to the string than other notes, unless the depth of touch is wrong. As I said get the tuner to llook at it on the next visit
Barrie
Understood. Thanks.