Steinmeyer Pianos

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Ryan

Steinmeyer Pianos

Post by Ryan »

Hi,

I am looking at getting a new pino and have found one which plays and sounds great, however the brand of the piano is 'Steinmeyer'.

The dealer said it was part of the Pearl River group and is as good as a Yamaha because Pearl River make a model of the Yamaha.

Has anybody heard of Steinmeyer?

Any info would be a great help.

CHeers
Ryan
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Ha ha ha ha!!

What a canny dealer!

Whilst it's true that Yamaha make a few of their cheaper pianos in the Pearl River factory, and quality is fine, it's not true to say that all instruments are as good as Yamahas. It's all about a little thing called "design". Pearl River products are generally well made these days, but build quality only a few years ago was iffy. None of the Pearl river 'own brands'are designed by Yamaha, unless they're stickered "MADE BY YAMAHA PEARL RIVER" on the front RHS of the keyslip. These were once badged "Eterna", but now have the Pearl River brand on the fall.

Check that the piano you're being offered isn't old stock!

Get the serial number and get your local tuner to check it out.

PG
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

pearl river

Post by A440 »

Hi piano guy.
What do you make of Steinway using Pearl River to make their new Bostons? (this months MI pro). They must be OK really....
I think the quality is there once they have been thoroughly regulated. As for scale design it's the same as all studio pianos isn't it?
legato queen

Re: Steinmeyer Pianos

Post by legato queen »

I am looking at changing my digital piano for the real thing, from what I have seen Steinmeyer piano fits in my budget, but i have heard a lot of bad feedback on chinese manufactured pianos, if anyone out there has any feedback on Steinmeyer pianos would be grateful, before i part with all my hard saved cash. kim
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

There's nothing wrong with Chinese built pianos in general, but there *are* certainly some foul pianos around and many of them are built in China!

You don't say which model of Steinmayer you are looking at, but before you buy, try pianos from Brodmann, Perzina (Gehr.Steinberg, Sangler, Eavestaff, Gebr.Perzina to name but a few of their brands) or Pearl River (Waldstein and many others) or a second hand nearly-new Yamaha C110A or b1 if you can find one.
Better than some of these would be a second hand (1970s or 1980s) Welmar, Danemann, Knight, Chappell or Kemble which are unfashionable in terms of appearance but were cracking pianos, or the best bargain piano ever created, a 1980s Fazer. These are very very cheap now, and look terribly boxy, but are way better than many of the above.

There are better options than a new Steinmayer, although if you really like the sound and the way it plays there are far worse around too, so as always, get advice from your local independent tuner and happy hunting!
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
vernon

Post by vernon »

We've been selling Steinmayers for years, as well as their Gors and Kallman and Weber brands,alongside Kawais and must report that they are excellent in every respect. They stand in tune well and we have not had a single problem.
While there are obviously comparable pianos you have got to go a long way to beat their price--their entry piano still retails @ £1995( at the moment!)
The important thing is if you like a piano and it fits your budget,go for it.

However, tell your dealer to get his facts right about their connection with Yamaha. There are knowledgable people on this Forum who can tell you where every piano and every part of that piano is made!
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

A decent upright for under 2k brand new is certainly not to be sniffed at!
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
vernon

Post by vernon »

If you have an eye for details, as I have, apart from the quality of the piano, look at the fittings-you get super castors, the hinges are all thick brass( not pressed steel anodised things.) The grands have solid brass roller castors( £250 at Fletchers) and selling at £5000!
Unless you are an established dealer it is even hard to get them .They have a waiting list if you want certain models.No 110s till April

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Kemble King
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Kemble King »

Not sure about Steinmeyer pianos.

I would go for the secondhand option of the Fazer or Danemann. Both are excellent pianos, way before cheap end Pearl River.
The most AMAZING piano dealer in the UK

Kemble Centre of Excellence also dealer for Kawai, Wendl and Lung and Brodmann pianos
vernon

Post by vernon »

That's if you don't mind the Fazer cardboard casework.
Where do you find the s/h Danemanns? Now that's a piano.

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Kemble King
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Kemble King »

vernon wrote:That's if you don't mind the Fazer cardboard casework.
Where do you find the s/h Danemanns? Now that's a piano.
I got heaps for you to choose from Vern? Maybe we can work out a wee deal.

Just dont prang the Fazers, and they should be good for a while.

Regards

Kemble King
The most AMAZING piano dealer in the UK

Kemble Centre of Excellence also dealer for Kawai, Wendl and Lung and Brodmann pianos
vernon

Post by vernon »

I'll tak a fine Danemann or twa off ye ma fine loon.
Fit like?

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk