New hammers for Knight

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

New hammers for Knight

Post by Model V »

One of the pianos in our school is a Knight. Around 20+ years old. Funny thing is that, although the hammers are very deeply grooved and the case is filthy, it's a really cracking little piano. I would be keen on having it done up to give it another 20 years of service and thought this would be more cost-effective than replacing it in the medium to long term.

The strings "look" in very nice condition, it holds its tune very well and the action works a treat. I'm assuming that a good clean up and new hammers would do the trick. How much should this cost from a really good technician?

Thanks,

MV
Bob Pierce
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: New hammers for Knight

Post by Bob Pierce »

You don't indicate which area you are in so it may be difficult to recommend a technician. I would recommend that the technician that you choose uses the slim width bass hammers from Renner and have them bored to pattern. The standard bore hammers supplied off the shelf are all at the wrong angles, the bass in a Knight is very acute.
I hope this is of some help.

Good luck

Bob