open fire & CH-is buying an acoustic piano a good idea?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

terrysa

open fire & CH-is buying an acoustic piano a good idea?

Post by terrysa »

Can't decide whether to buy a digital or an acoustic piano given that we have CH and open fire throughout the winter and CH on more sporadically in the summer? Would having a piano tuned, say, twice a year be sufficicent to comabat changes in humidity? I know digitals won't go out of tune and you can practice with headphones but I prefer the 'idea' of an acoustic. Any thoughts?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: open fire & CH-is buying an acoustic piano a good idea?

Post by Barrie Heaton »

in most Uk home twice a year is fine, as to an open coal fire they give off a lot of moisture like gas fines which can be good but the coal dust is not. However, sitting the piano next to the fire is not a good idea unless there is a deep chimney breast.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
crispin
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by crispin »

Buying an acoustic piano is a good idea :D

However I have had a bad experience with a piano going horribly out of tune : see http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-forums/vi ... f=3&t=6843 for details.

I now have a hygrometer - and was shocked to find the RH in our house was 25% at 18 C (outside was 78% at 0C). I will now buy a humidifier.. and hopefully solve this problem.
So when you buy your acoustic piano :piano; - get a hygrometer if you are worried ... then if the humidity is low (unlikely in the UK) get a humidifier
vernon

Post by vernon »

a modern acoustic piano will give you no problems whatsoever in these areas. Go for it.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk