Feurich Leipzig upright piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

alon

Feurich Leipzig upright piano

Post by alon »

Hello

I'm about to buy a Feurich Leipzig upright piano. Tall. 80 or 90 years old.
It has a serial number inside - # 26436
It has a very rich bass, in a very good condition (and looks very good on the outside too).

http://picasaweb.google.com/daganalon/D ... 6422154946

http://picasaweb.google.com/daganalon/N ... nXmfhCfLY#

Is there anyone who can share me deatils such as quality of manufacture? Would you compare it to other big brands?
I read somewhere that "Feurichs are among the best-sounding pianos in the world". Can you confirm that?

My other alternative for the same price would be a W.Hoffmann from 1972 made in W.Germany. (110 cm). Would you rather chose the Hoffmann since it was made much later? (it has a better selling price as I have seen, and I wonder why. It is much shorter and doesn't sound so rich as compared to the Feurich)

Thanks a lot :D
Alon[/url]
Last edited by alon on 12 Jan 2009, 10:56, edited 5 times in total.
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

Hello,
From your picture it would appear that this piano has not been tuned for some considerable time, witnessed by the absence of bright spots on the tuning keys – all of which are very rusty and may prevent satisfactory tuning to concert pitch.
This coupled with oxidation on the strings, the bad alignment of some hammers, and heavy oxidation of other attachment features would be more than enough to get me running in the opposite direction.
The good news? Traditionally Feurich made good pianos, and today are produced in Gunzenhausen Germany, and are reported to be instruments of high quality.

Given the age of the piano you are interested in, it would be highly unusual that it needs just a tuning. Generally, old uprights are in major need of restoration/rebuilding, and unfortunately the rebuilding costs are so high that it makes little financial sense - unless the case is of a particularly rare and sought-after style. (I recently tried a 50 year old Steinway upright that was terrible and I wouldn't have wanted it even as a gift).
Even the purchase of a 37 year old Hoffman needs caution, and for either you really need to get an independent piano technician to look at it and to be guided by his advise.
I wish you good luck in your piano search - check out as many as you can - and don't rush into a purchase!
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

have a piano technician check out the piano and advise as to its quality and condition - the small sum this will cost may save you much more in the long run!
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

Please can someone remind me of the maker of the action shown - the name evades me.

Thanks

PS, A lot depends on the asking price - you will have to weigh this up against the costs of bringing it up to speed. As stateds, get a technician to look it over with you. They will be able to give you an estimate of work required and advise as to the value of the instrument so you can work out if you are getting a good deal.

Fully brought up to speed, this would probably be an excellent piano provided that there are no terminal problems. Many of these German pianos from the period have a lovely sound, but you need an indication of what this work will cost.
alon

Post by alon »

Oops... :? By mistake I posted the wrong image. It was an image of a similar piano I found on the web and wanted to compare it to the photos I took.
So by mistake I copied the wrong link..

Anyway, you may take a look once again. This is the right Feurich I was talking about.
(attached more photos)

http://picasaweb.google.com/daganalon/D ... 6422154946

http://picasaweb.google.com/daganalon/Desktop#

Thanks again! :D
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

Looks in a tidier condition than the other. Typical solid German workmanship (but visibly one broken hammer shaft and hammers need re-aligning) but again take a technician with you as it's impossible to give more than a cursory idea from just a photo. If the piano is nearby and there is a deal of work to be done, the technician may not even charge you much for the inspection if he is guaranteed to get to do the work needed on it.

please can someone on the forum answer my question re maker of action. Quite distinctive with the aluminium back to the hammer rail http://images.quebarato.com.br/photos/b ... 373E_4.jpg if you know the answer.
Thanks[/url]
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

The action looks like either an Isermann or a Morgenstern & Kotrade.
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
alon

I got a technichian opinion

Post by alon »

Well,
I got a technitian to look at it.
He said it has a nice sound and can be a good instrument but since it is old and has never recieved repair it requires a treatment that includes hammers and bass dampers replacement.
He valued the repair for ~750 USD.
Beyond that he thinks it will need new tunning pins maybe in the next 5 or 10 years. ~1600 USD
What would you recommend to do?
The fact that it is almost 100 years old worries me a bit.
I don't want to constantly spend money every few years.
Would it better to look for newer used piano that have longer life ahead?
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

Blank
Last edited by Pianomate on 12 Jan 2009, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

Sounds like a lot of work. Go and have a look at what else there is available out there. I'm sure you will find a better deal.

However just about any second hand piano is going to want a degree of work done on it to bring back to peak condition unless it's reasonabl new and hasn't had a lot of use. Ask him for his opinion (though he may be influenced by the thought of getting the work). Depends on the asking price and the estimated value when restored. Are you are specifically wanting an antique instrument or are you just wanting a good piano to play on?
alon

Post by alon »

..Just a good piano to play on.
By the way, I have been offered this piano for 1300 USD. If I add the repair cost, Could I get a decent instrument that will last many more years after?

I have a limited budget to spend - ~ 3000 USD.
Thanks
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

I'm sure you can do better elsewhere. With the recession, I'm sure there will be lots of bargains coming soon.