Restoration Project

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Restoration Project

Post by Pianomate »

Hi everyone. I have been offered (for free) an early rare John Broadwood upright I am told from the 1840s. As the opportunity doesn't come around that often, I've decided to grab it before it ends up on the guy's woodburning stove!

Therefore, this will end up as my next project and I was wondering if anyone would be interested if I continue this thread with a restoration log as the work progresses? Being an amateur, it would also be helpful to me if people can offer tips and advice too.

PS I am still looking for a square piano which needs rescuing. Anyone know where there is one?
pianotechman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by pianotechman »

Yeah, post away I've restored a couple of them, so I'd be interested in your progress. One of my clients wanted new hammers which had to be custom made ,[rather than recovering which you may have to settle for if you are on a tight budget]. Also it will probably have old cedar wood shanks, so if you do renew the hammer heads it would be prudent to replace these with beech. You can still get the smaller diameter shanks, although they're now a tad more expensive than standard 7/32"Dia. I made up some copper ended tongs to 'sweat/melt' the glue joint into the hammer butts, so the old shanks could be pulled out easily, rather than drilling them. It probably also employs a 'slip jack' escapement, at the end of the keys, which will require you to make new springs by hand in the traditional way!! great fun :)
David Hamilton Smith
ATG
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by ATG »

Is it a cabinet upright - about 6ft tall? If so, we have one dated around 1845 with loads of rosewood and original looking cloth on the upper panel. Sounds ropey but then its not been tuned for many years.

ATG
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

Sounds like I'm going to be busy. Yeah, not got to pick it up yet. It's at the back of a barn so I hope it's restorable. Will try and post photos if I can work out how you do it. I'm hoping it will have an "early piano" sound which would be great for the chamber music enthusiasts in the village -maybe have a few jamming sessions on Schubert etc.

PS, anyone know of a source of simulated ivory celluloid (at a sensible price) for replacing keytops?

Also, I am a dab hand at making keys to fit old locks such as piano locks - PM me if you need any such keys making.
David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by David B »

Pianomate wrote:.

PS, anyone know of a source of simulated ivory celluloid (at a sensible price) for replacing keytops?
Why would you want this when there is plently original ivory key tops around? They come up on eBay occasionally, or you could try your local restorer, or there's alway google :roll:
Pianomate wrote:.

Also, I am a dab hand at making keys to fit old locks such as piano locks - PM me if you need any such keys making.
How are you at picking locks? :wink:
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

The piano was originally fitted with ivorine (celluloid) keytops when it was supplied. I have made preliminary enquiries about getting a set of ivory keytops but nobody has a complete set the correct size.

I have picked piano locks for a school when the kids kept locking them without the keys - they are simple single lever locks. I made some keys for the music teacher in the end.
vernon

Post by vernon »

As David B says, get some old ivory tops . They will be bigger than yr old Broadwood keys. Just make them fit
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

Sorry - I should have made it clear - the keytops are not for the Broadwood piano but for another one. Tops are 23mm x 50mm and the tails are 110 x 14mm wide. Nobody has any ivory which is wide enough.

I am told Ebay are not permitting any specific ivory items now as they have got into trouble over illegal ivory sales on their website.

Thanks.
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

Been to get it today. I expected it to be more of a wreck but I've been pleasantly surprised.

Very simple action. Oblong tuning pins and the soundboard only fills a small part of the frame. Here is a photo.

[img]action.jpg[/img]

Photo doesn't seem to have worked - can anyone please tell me how to upload pics?

Thanks[/img]