comments on sandner pianos

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

MarkBaird

comments on sandner pianos

Post by MarkBaird »

I am looking at new pianos between £2000 & £3000. Tried and quite liked a Sandner sp320, but can find no reviews/opinions about them, or the cheaper models, so was wondering if anybody had any experiences? Also considering Kemble oxford contemporary (liked sound, but unsure of value for money), tried but wasn't keen on Yamaha B3 and wondering whether to try to check out Wendl & Lung or Perzina models in this price bracket. Any comment welcomed! Thanks.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

The Sandner is a bit of an ugly piano. That and the virtually unknown name (Sandner is best known as a maker of stringed orchestral instuments) will have it plunging in value on the second-hand market, although the materials quality in places is very good. Dreadful graphics and labellling give it a real low rent feel, which is a shame because overall feel is comparable to the Wendl & Lung and tone quality very decent. If you really like it and price is right then it may well be OK.

Perzinas are of similar history in that originally they were a German company (a Perzina played the starring role in the film "The Pianist" !) and now are European controlled but made in China. The 120cm and larger Perzina models will also certainly give a b3 a run for its money in terms of tone because the latter's laminated soundboard is nowhere near as resonant as the Perzina's Austrian Spruce job, but the b3 will have the advantage in the action department. The Perzinas also have a rock-solid cabinet that appears to be totally rigid whereas the b3's case is slightly low rent and the (Austrian owned/Chinese built) Wendl & Lung almost wobbly in comparison.

The Kemble Cambridge (if you can live with the 1960s Welmar style case) is a good choice but beware that the 'modern' case styles like the Cambridge suffer dreadful depreciation compared to 'traditional' styles like the technically identical Oxford, so your choice is spot-on. The Kembles have that superb Yamaha action and a 'friendlier' sound compared to Yamahas even though they come from the same factory in most cases. Considerably more expensive than a larger Perzina or W&L though, so weigh up each model individually.
bart
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by bart »

I thought that for your budget you would just about get a Kawai K2 and these sound great.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

bart wrote:I thought that for your budget you would just about get a Kawai K2 and these sound great.
But can feel rather 'wooden' to play. Ironic, since they're largely plastic where the action is concerned!
:-P
MarkBaird

Post by MarkBaird »

Thanks for the swift reply pianoguy. Tried a Perzina 122 today - quite liked it, but didn't have any of the others we tried yesterday for a direct comparison in this store - so still undecided. For our purposes (me to pick up from where I left off about 30 yrs ago (grade 1, pass, just) and to hopefully inspire our small children to learn) I'm thinking that all those we have tried will serve us well, so it boils down to personal taste and value for money?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

MarkBaird wrote: I'm thinking that all those we have tried will serve us well, so it boils down to personal taste and value for money?
Aye that!
Sjoerdje

Re: comments on sandner pianos

Post by Sjoerdje »

Sandner piano is made in China. It is a very very bad product. My experience: I had one of this Sandner piano but the iron frame has been cracked. This is impossible to repair. A new iron frame is the only option, but it is a lot of work to make this new frame in the Sandner piano, you need to be a professional technician to do this. So I urged for a new Sandner piano. No response from Sander supplier in Germany. Then I have contacted the factory in China. I could buy a new Sandner piano they replied. When I told them I would like to have a replacement I got no answer anymore. In the end I only asked for a new frame. But no response at all. Still have a broken piano for month's now. Really unbelievable. I am very angry and I advice to never buy this crap Sandner piano.